We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identifying a gully trap type

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have had difficulty in identifying the type and manufacturer of my gully trap. Recently I noticed the rubber bung which covered the rodding eye hole has disappeared (probably flushed into the drain and taken a long dark journey!!

The trap is made completely of plastic, is square at the top where the grill fits into four locating pegs at the corners. Further down it changes to a round section which has a solid shroud covering the outlet which protrudes above the water level but leaves a gap at the bottom for water to flow; it is in the top of this shroud where the hole where the rubber bung should be. The hole is about two to two and a half inches in diameter.

The trap is cemented into the path and would take substantial effort to replace, so if I can get a replacement bung it would make life easier - even if I need to buy a complete trap to achieve this.

Can anyone help?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

From your description I think you have a square top bottle gulley with a rodding eye. Possible manufacturers include Marley, Osma, and Hunter.

Like this post  
wiz-king

Likes # 0

First stop - Measure the hole exactly. Second stop - your local plumber/builder merchant Desperation if all else fails - make a wooden bung very slightly smaller and paint it then wrap with insulation tape to get it an exact fit.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

You can get bungs for motorcycle exhausts to stop water entering when washing. You may be able to get one large enough and cut it at the correct point on the taper.Using one in the washing line holder at the moment.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Self-amalgamating-tape (it's black and sticky & about an inch wide...I used it as a BT engineer for temporary joint closures) wrapped around the DIY bung as hinted by wiz-king might help to provide a good seal for a few months.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all your replies.

I have been searching against suggested manufacturers (and suppliers) with no success at finding a drawing/picture that remotely resembles the item - I think my next option is to visit all the builders merchants in the area.

As for making a replacement, I have considered various materials/methods but have rejected each on the grounds of complexity, longevity and/or effect to the system if lost again.

I have also looked at using a suitably sized rubber ball which appears to be viable as, unless forced into the downstream side of the trap, it cannot be lost due to its size.

Many thanks to all again.

Like this post
cruiser2

Likes # 0

If you get a new bung, can you not attach it to the grid with wire or a chain so that it cannot go down the drain

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It may be made by this firm

Click this link

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I have confirmed the item is by Osma and spares can be purchased - no price yet, builders' merchant computer system has failed!!

Many thanks to all for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...