We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excessive Force?

oresome

Likes # 0

Alan Duncan, a former Cabinet Minister, has said householders should not be prosecuted for defending their homes after a couple were arrested following the shooting of two suspected burglars.

Whilst I have some sympathy with the householders as it is claimed they had suffered several thefts, I cannot condone their action unless they were being physically threatened and felt their lives were in danger.

The only way to establish if the use of a gun was appropriate is in a court and politics should be left out of it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Total aside, off thread.

You are the only person I've ever come across, apart from me that is, who believes that OK stands for "Orl Korrect".

Two voices crying in the wilderness!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

morddwyd

We must be of same generation. Again off thread but the USA often uses K instead of C, as in the amphibious vehicle the DUKW, or Dodge Universal Karrier, Water.

I thought fm would carry on the original argument!

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

The opinions in this thread are varied and interesting although, I think, some are absolute cods-wallop.

We have been burgled and I did disturb the miscreant although I did not see him/her. It was a situation I do not want to repeat, the money and valuables taken were covered by insurance but treasured Wedding Presents will never be replaced.

The whole affair had a bad effect on our family life but we have coped with it but flashbacks still occur.

A Policeman said that it was fortunate that I did not confront the intruder because no one knew what he/she would do nor did anyone know what I would have done. It is said that most burglars want to escape and avoid confrontation.

In the past I was used to handling weapons and wonder what I would have done if I had been armed when confronting an intruder. I hope that I would have controlled him/her but I am pretty sure that if it had been a case of him or me I would have shpt him/her.

I write him/her because the thief was so tidy that my wife is sure it was a woman.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Apparently,a Judge has stated in his summing up that the burglar was brave.No burglar is brave,they are cowards and only attack people if the burglars out-number the resident(s)or are armed.I'm heartily sick of hearing how the burglars had a tough childhood,are addicts etc & shouldn't be locked up.If a few more householders resorted to extreme violence then perhaps these cowardly thieves would have to find other targets such as commercial premises.Unfortunately,the other targets are likely to be the more vunerable members of society.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad