We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excessive Force?

oresome

Likes # 0

Alan Duncan, a former Cabinet Minister, has said householders should not be prosecuted for defending their homes after a couple were arrested following the shooting of two suspected burglars.

Whilst I have some sympathy with the householders as it is claimed they had suffered several thefts, I cannot condone their action unless they were being physically threatened and felt their lives were in danger.

The only way to establish if the use of a gun was appropriate is in a court and politics should be left out of it.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...' no-one should expect ' and ' no-one should be surprised ' are contrasting concepts that should not be used in the framework of a logical argument...misinterpretations can easily follow.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I wouldn't say the huffing and puffing was a wasted effort.

How else would we gain an insight into the majority view?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Fourm Member,

The reality is that had it gone to court, the outcome would have been decided by a jury comprising people not unlike those who frequent this forum.

The CPS probably have in mind the likely chances of a conviction as well as 'is there a case to answer'.

Like it or not, the nonsense articulated in this thread would likely be replicated in a jury room.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm - you said - Reading some of the nonsense posted in this thread I'm very grateful that this couple weren't just let off without a proper investigation.

Why are you very grateful ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

To quote from the bbc item:

"Chief Crown Prosecutor for the East Midlands, said: "I am satisfied that this is a case where householders, faced with intruders in frightening circumstances, acted in reasonable self-defence."

"The law is clear that anyone who acts in good faith, using reasonable force, doing what they honestly feel is necessary to protect themselves, their families or their property, will not be prosecuted for such action."

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm - were you grateful at the nonsense on this thread or something else that bothered you?:

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"It may not always be a crime to shoot someone but it is never OK"

Usually true in civilian life but not, eg, in Afghanistan where on occasions it is not only OK, but is what one is paid by HMG to do.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm - you said For Aitchbee's benefit, if no investigation had been undertaken it would have given the message that it is OK to shoot people.

How and why; please justify your last remark.What messages are you pertaining to?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

fourm member

"But it still isn't OK"

We may be getting a tad pedantic here. Of course the taking of any life is to be avoided, on moral grounds. However when it comes to armed combat, the last resort of disputes between states or similar bodies, the soldier in the field is often told he is there to kill the enemy. He has to put on one side his personal feelings and shoot the enemy as required. It may not be OK in the moral sense, but it is OK in the general meaning of "Orl Korect"

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

"The law is clear that anyone who acts in good faith, using reasonable force, doing what they honestly feel is necessary to protect themselves, their families or their property, will not be prosecuted for such action."

Well actually I think the law is not that clear.

Phrases like 'good faith', 'honestly feel' and 'reasonable force' are open to interpretation and I believe their interpretation is swayed by a perception of what the mood of the country is by both politicians and those in the justice system.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

7 lessons Apple could learn from Microsoft (yeah, you read that right)