We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excessive Force?

oresome

Likes # 0

Alan Duncan, a former Cabinet Minister, has said householders should not be prosecuted for defending their homes after a couple were arrested following the shooting of two suspected burglars.

Whilst I have some sympathy with the householders as it is claimed they had suffered several thefts, I cannot condone their action unless they were being physically threatened and felt their lives were in danger.

The only way to establish if the use of a gun was appropriate is in a court and politics should be left out of it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It does happen, June 1st, 2012: Two men who burgled an 87-year-old Oswestry pensioner were yesterday jailed for manslaughter. ClickHere

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If someone breaks into your home while you are there, that person is a potential threat to your safety. If the same person carries a weapon of some sort the threat is real rather than potential. You are entitled to respond if you feel that there's an imminent danger of being harmed, but how you respond is important.

Shooting someone because they have broken into your home is certainly not justified, neither is any form of unprovoked violence - that turns you into the aggressor. All this macho talk about the violent responses people would make if they discovered a burglar in their home is immature posturing, and no court is going to sanction it. You are not entitled to beat someone senseless because he came into your house to steal things. You are entitled to protect yourself if you are attacked, or are in fear of being attacked, but you must only use reasonable force, given the circumstances.

You shouldn't have to think too long about it to realise that it's common sense.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Bing.alau, you snuck your post in, mine was meant to follow Woowell's bottom of page 2

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Every body as a right to protect themselves and there family, property is another matter. Certainly not for taking someone's life for

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

FE, I wonder if you would still say that if it was the third time by (various) gang of 2/4 masked burglars and on the previous 2 you and your wife and family had been beaten up. I think most would take their chance with the court not sanctioning it.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Grey Goo

Everything in my house is insured, I'm not (as in no insurance company can replace me, but they can replace my TV etc).

I feel that if I just let any intruders help themselves, everything will be fine, 99.9 times out of 100 burglars are just looking for stuff to sell for drugs.

I'll have pretty clear CCTV footage of them entering the house, and the footage is recorded off site, on a server at work, and mirrored to another server in Europe somewhere...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

lotvic - I didn't state that it didn't happen but was not the norm. The threat tends to be overstated.

Regarding this case we do not know the full circumstances so cannot know if excessive forces was used or not.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

"All this macho talk about the violent responses people would make if they discovered a burglar in their home is immature posturing"

I totally disagree, I have looked down the barrel of a sawn off shotgun during a jewellers robbery and I can tell you adrenalin takes over and a natural reaction is self preservation, a basic instinct of flight or fight, what is more I do not believe that anyone can predicts how they would react unless themselves or family are threatened until they have been in that situation.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I will not acquiesce to being a victim in my own home. I will not sit quietly while some stranger sees fit to help himself to my lifes labours while hoping that he leaves me and mine alone. That is the way of the appeaser, who is one who feeds a crocodile—hoping it will eat him last.

Furthermore, I will be happy to explain myself in court. Because it's a matter of principle, and principles are worth fighting for.

WTM

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

All I can add is, I hope they get a few people like WTM on their jury.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers