We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intensive Farming

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Two weeks ago the field opposite was growing a cereal crop.

A week ago it had been combined, the straw was baled and being collected.

Today, having been ploughed and drilled, the field opposite is growing a cereal crop.

It’s been like that, with minor variations in dates for the last twenty years.

Twenty years ago, in the field opposite, we used to see skylarks, partridges, golden plovers, lapwings, curlews, geese, herons, and one year even a peregrine.

Today we don’t even see gulls following the plough.

I wonder if there is a connection?

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Wonder no longer!! There is almost certainly a connection but it is the price we are making wildlife pay so that we can feed all the mouths on this island.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I agree with canarieslover , look at Scotland's population growth :

Population. The world population growth is, IMHO, the cause of most of such problems (man's contribution to global warming, etc.) The question is, how to control it?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It's what other people do that is causing the problem!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

defra figures and chart Wild Bird Populations in UK, 1970-2010 ClickHere The decline is quite marked.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

" how to control it?"

That's easy.

You simply genetically modify the cereal crops so that they cause sterility in the human male.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I don't think there would be as much need for intensive farming if there wasnt so much waste in the food supply chain between producer and consumer.

WTM

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

so much waste in the food supply chain between producer and consumer.

The consumer is by far the worst when it comes to waste!

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

You simply genetically modify the cereal crops so that they cause sterility in the human male.

Sterility in the human male is already occuring.

Google sperm count and you will find that Western men are suffering an infertility crisis. Professor Niels Skakkebaek of the University of Copenhagen presented data to the WHO indicating sperm counts had fallen by about a half over the past 50 years.

The human population explosion may eventually be self limiting. I suppose it would be surprising if chemicals that affect wildlife reproduction had no impact on human reproduction.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Blimey! No wonder I can't perform like I used to, I thought it was because I was over eighty.... (TIC).

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Pine Man

Food Service is by far the most wasteful, some restaurants chuck away 50% of the food they cook in order to keep everything on the menu available all the time.

I must admit though that when I see some families' trolleys in Asda I wonder just how much of the food will be eaten...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia