We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Paralympic classifications for disabled.

canarieslover
Resolved

Likes # 0

Am I the only one confused by the way that the athletes are classified? I saw Richard Whitehead, a double amputee, win 200 metres gold and the later in the day I watched Oscar Pistorius, another double amputee, win his heat in the 200 metres despite having to go up a class due to lack of entries for his particular class. With the blind/partially sighted cyclists the pilot is able bodied so what is there to prevent the entrant from having Chris Hoy on the front? Not a facetious question, I really would like more clarification than Channel 4 seem to offer.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

See Here: Classification

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It is somewhat confusing, so I just watch the races for what they are to avoid the confusion. It's mainly the the competitors that need to know the exact minutia of the classifications.

Like this post  
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I've looked at the various sites and also the LEXI introductions to each event but I'm still confused that two apparently similarly disabled runners can be in different classes. Obviously there were time differences in their performances, but no greater than those within the same classes. I suppose the controversy surrounding the re-classification of a couple of the swimmers may have made me more aware of the classes and I'm looking at the athletes more closely to try to understand it. I will try to take a leaf from Quickbeam's book and just enjoy each event for what it is.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Canarieslover

Just to deal with the two mens 200m events you specifically mentioned.

Richard Whitehead has lost his legs above the knee whilst Oscar Pistorios had his amputated below the knee giving him greater control with his prostetics hence the need for two classifications.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

bremner's answer came to me also while I was out with the dog. If you look at both races, the advantage of a below the knees amputation Vs an above the knees is a huge difference in speed. Pisorios can compete with the able bodied lower order athletes.

The above the knees amputees are very clumsy by comparison, showing just how much difference a major joint can make to your recovery to normality.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I'm with Quickbeam on this. The LEXI introductions give me enough information so I can have an idea what the event is and then I just sit back and enjoy it. In my working days one of my hospitals had one of the Supra Regional Spinal Injuries Unit as well as a National Centre for Spinal Disorders so I have seen many paraplegic competitors go from being almost completely paralysed to competing in athletic events. It is a very humbling experience and a delight to see them so enjoying competing if front of so many supporters.  

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer