We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Loads More Gold Stamps and Postboxes

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They had a Post Office spokesman on this morning talking about this. He admitted that they were completely taken by surprise over the public's appreciation of the gold stamps and postboxes and had to do a U turn to include it to all the Paralympic gold winners although it will take longer as some days will see loads of gold winners.

They're also asking the gold winners where they would like their gold postbox to be after a few local communities refused to accept the winners adopted place as home and painted their own gold postboxes!

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

I appreciate that there are a small number of competitors that could almost be competitive in the able bodied arena, but most of the Paralympians rely on classification or complicated formulae to be competitive amongst themselves. I have only seen comparative viewing figures for the opening ceremonies so far, 26.9 million for Olympics versus 11.2 million for Paralympics. Hopefully that is not a true reflection of the lower interest in the Paralympics. Despite the integration of the disabled into society being greater now than at any time I can remember, there is still a large percentage of people who still cannot bring themselves to even watch them on t.v. let alone buy tickets to watch them. These are probably the same people that would speak to me while ignoring my Mother as I pushed her in a wheelchair. Whether this would be enough to affect ticket sales at a mixed Olympics I'm not sure, but I would hope not. Don't forget that we are among the enlightened when it comes to integration and there are still many countries where disabled are treated worse than animals so there would have to be extra care involved in selection of venue.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I thought Hong-Kong was now part of China. So how is it that they compete separately in the Olympics and Paralympics?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They must be fielding a counterfeit team...

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

We had that discussion after the main Olympics opening ceremony

Hong Kong appears at the Olympics as a Special Administrative Region of The People's Republic of China.

Hong Kong is represented separately at the Olympics by its own choice (for any gold medal ceremony the Hong Kong SAR flag is raised and the PRC national anthem is played). As permitted under its constitution as agreed upon handover from the United Kingdom (specifically, Article 151, Chapter 7 of The Basic Law), it "may, on its own, ... maintain and develop relations and conclude and implement agreements with foreign states and regions and relevant international organizations in the appropriate fields, including the economic, trade, financial and monetary, shipping, communications, tourism, cultural and sports fields."

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Sorry I must have missed that discussion.

That means to my mind, that China is operating two different teams in these games and it is wrong.

Why can't Scotland field its own team? It's even a different country.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...and why can't Yorkshire have a county entry?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

quickbeam "Prezactly"

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bing.alau, Prezactly, isn't that near Fazakerley ? ;o}

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

It's somewhere between there (Fazakerley) and Bugroff I think. but Frizby Dyke rides to Fazakerley on his bike though.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

With the Republic of China (Formosa / Tiawan) that makes 3 Chinas.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made