We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Well, well, well - what a find!

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

I think the house name itself offered a good clue, don't you? under floor well

One thing that can be said of this discovery is that they won't ever become short of water from now on, provided they boil every drop of course.

Methinks also it could be a handy way of disposing of obnoxious visitors or family members as well - this option spoken in jest of course! :) TC.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Handy if you need a bucket of stagnant water on a frosty night, but at an estimated 30 feet deep it's only a baby compared to some wells.

In Woodingdean, a suburb of Brighton and Hove, there's a private hospital with a well in the grounds that is claimed to be the world's deepest hand-dug well. It was dug in the mid 1800's and is 1,285 feet deep. How on earth anyone had the courage to be lowered down that for a morning's digging defies the imagination.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

I totally agree with you there, Peter, having just read more about that huge undertaking so long ago. The mind boggles at Victorian man and his many achievements during that era.

Here's a story about the Woodingdean Well construction, outlining the hardships those workers faced for over four years. Makes for interesting reading. TC. the well

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I have a friend that lives in a Victorian terrace villa that he keeps telling me has a brick lined well near the house in the back garden. It's something like a bottle kiln which makes me think it was a brick septic tank rather than a well!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...