We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Getting around Scarborough by bus

NewestRoyWidd1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi everyone,is anyone in here familiar with Scarborough?I'm going on a daytrip there this Sunday,having been there twice just recently,and would like to visit the castle this time.

Does anybody know if the local buses run close to it,and if so,which ones and where from?My starting point will be Valley Road close to the massive foot bridge on the seafront.I realise there are steps leading up to the castle from the promenade,but I want to avoid them if possible.The local bus company website doesn't seem to be very helpful.

All replies will be gratefully received.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Was there last Tuesday got off the Park & Ride at the south shore stop and walked up to Luna Park Up to castle and down other side - along North shore to Peasholm Park back through town centre to catch Bus to P&P

Buses run along Sandside road to castle nearest stop:

BusStopsNYcurrent Stop_Reference3200YNA01154 Easting505065 Northing488801 Stop_NameSandside Main_RoadSandside LocalityScarborough (North Yorkshire) SMS32001154

You can find all bus stops here just zoom map into Scarborough

Only way up to the castle is on foot of course up that steep hill :0)

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat,but I'm trying to avoid the climb from street level if possible.Are there any buses that travel near to Castle Road?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I'm trying to avoid the climb from street level if possible

You can't the castle is at the top of the hill and only approachable by foot paths

There is a bus stop at the junction of North Marine road and Castle Road

not sure how steep it is up castle road from there.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

looking on the google street view photos here

Castle road looks just as steep and a long walk from the buds stop.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

That's the point of building a castle on a Hill, so it cannot be got at

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

FruitBat;Many thanks for that info on bus stops near the castle,i'll check it out.I have a slightly arthritic hip and don't want to use the steps from Sandside,but a steady walk along Castle Road should be ok.

Woodchip,thank you for stating the obvious!I am fully aware why some castles were built on hills,though some weren't.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Visted Scarborough for any years but never been to the castle. I have parked up in that area when Walking from North to south bay in the winter but never seen a bus up there. I'm not sure how far up you can go without walking and there must be disabled access there somewhere surely here's a bus map Map

Noldi

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Noldi,the map will come in very handy.

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

There is a more detailed bus map .pdf from the link on http://www.scarborough.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=13802 look under the 'What New' section, 'Scarborough revs up with new local bus map' it has all the other streets and roads on it as well as the bus routes.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Can you get a donkey ride up the hill a la Santorini?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite