We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Paralympic games opening ceremony.

Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

Well what did you think ? In some ways weird and maybe a bit pretentious but often moving and really rather wonderful. I preferred it to the Danny Boyle effort. The music was better too.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I won't be watching any of the Paralympics for the simple reason that I don't watch commercial TV channels. I'll catch any highlights shown on the BBC.

Only watched highlights of the main games via the web. I and a couple of mates were staying in a beautiful part of France and had a great holiday playing golf, eating, drinking and sunbathing on the nearby beach.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"I don't watch commercial TV channels"

ams4127

You'll fit in nicely with NBC's target audience then as they're only doing about 5 hours of edited highlights for the USA. I haven't heard that pompous statement from anyone for thirty years.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

I watch very little commercial TV, as I can't stand the constant adverts.

Any commercial TV I do watch is normally recorded so I can skip the adverts, my Humax freeview recorder has a handy button that skips forward 4 minutes, the length of an average ad break...

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

If it's on Catch-Up TV they usually omit the ads I think.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Some of the ads have only been seconds, so your button would mean you miss things. Anyway, PVRs; welcoem to the 21st century, folks.

More thoughts to follow. Careful, you may fall off your chairs!

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I agree about the commentators. Though I am confused what channel people were watching on if they were bothered by Snow being in a windowless room. I saw plenty of the events in the stadium. And it's channel 4. Ads are to be expected. The BBC should have had it, but they are too poor or just don't care about second class sport.

Now, I dont usually like these ceremonies. The Olympic one this year is the first I've ever really enjoyed. So I was excited for the Paralympic one. Alas, it was just another opening ceremony. We don't care that much about it, it seems. Sorry, really dissappointed, not sure what to say. There were long and boring sections of the Olympic ceremony (the hospital ward set-up was very much too long), but the highlights were many. Here, I'm afriad, I just think of lowlights. The rather boring torch lighting (same tocrch too), though I'm glad they got the person they did to do it.

Ah yes, then there was Spasticus Autisticus. Matt Fraser and friends trying to channel Dury to remind us all what a freak show the Paralympics are. I'm no freak, and the Paralympics no freak show.

And come on, Queeny, crack a flaming smile!

Thanks for Beverley Knight.

This year should have been the year the paralympics really came of age, at home, but it was not to be. It seems the movement still needs to decide what it is. Even Jeff Adams said "well, to some it is just about taking part". It's the paralympics. In some categories there are few competitors. Therefore some will do well without working too hard. But in the main, these are elite serious sports people. I don't feel we are close enough to acknowledging that yet, and I think "the movement" is partly to blame.

On teh other hand, people of any disability should have a chance to compete (unless there are only 2 or three, at which point it does become a little pointless).

But then, I've previoulsy been annoyed with changes in classes to make it more TV friendly, so I'm not as elitist as I may sound. I have mixed feelings. Maybe it should be a bit of a hodge podge.

Like this post
mikef.

Likes # 0

If you want to watch the sport advert free and have Virgin or Sky they have the dedicated advert free channels there, 550 upwards on Virgin, only 3 channels but better than nothing

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Yes, they had about ten of those channels for the Olympics themselves. But I suppose that is only to be expected. Let's be honest the Paralympics are not as important as the Olympics to most people. Obviously more important to the people taking part with their individual disabilities.

The main thing is that they enjoy taking part and winning their medals. The next games should be even bigger and maybe better for the paralympians. I hope they all enjoy their days in the spotlight.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

What on earth is pompous about not watching commercial TV? If you like sitting through all the adverts, then good luck to you. I don't and I damn well won't. It is also the reason I ditched Sky some years ago. How Americans can put up with the adverts on their TV is absolutely beyond me, it nearly drove me insane!

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

ams4127 shoulda gone to specsavers. i mean sky plus.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added