We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Paralympic games opening ceremony.

Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

Well what did you think ? In some ways weird and maybe a bit pretentious but often moving and really rather wonderful. I preferred it to the Danny Boyle effort. The music was better too.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

forum member

I agree re the commentators. The ceremony must have bored the Queen stiff - I am surprised she did not arrange to leave after the announcement of the opening. The competitors are so impressive, but the ceremony I found a bit boring.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

I have to agree with the coverage and I think it was unfortunate to have three? singers so close together although they all had lovely voices. I felt it was a bit drawn out. but the subject matter was well done.

Trouble is we have all been spoiled by the BBC coverage which will, in my opinion, never be surpassed.

Let's hope someone on Ch.4 has the brains not to interrupt the 100 metres with an ad.

We are going there in the evening of Fri. 7th when there are several finals on so should be ad free!!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Other than the coverage, the quality of the ceremony was outstanding. It was certainly not a poor relation for a tag on second class Olympics that has been the case previously.

I think that they've captured the spirit of competition of the competitors to a point where a lot of us that thought that maybe we would only catch a fleeting glimpse of a few events will actually start to watch and become interested in the events.

The Paralympics has just been announced as a very welcome guest at the party. It's too soon to say so, but it's looking like it's going to be the rebirth of the Paralympics to the public.

I've even had to add the word Paralympics to the dictionary to type this, the Paralympics are no longer being held in the car park opposite the stadium.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"The ceremony must have bored the Queen stiff"

As also with the main Olympics. The athletes parade has become so cumbersome to make an entrance due to the much increased numbers over the decades that they would be as well to start having them enter by two or even three entrances to get this down to 30 minutes. It's incredibly boring to watch the parade in full!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

There will be moments of glory and moments of personal tragedy, the media will feast on both, and we'll all surprise ourselves with how much we enjoy another sports-fest.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Regarding the commentators - if you were watching the C4 coverage it was Krishnan Guru-Murthy from C4 News and a Canadian former paralympic athlete who's name escapes me, with the usually excellent Claire Balding starting her C4 career pestering athletes.

I know C4 is a commercial channel, but surely they could have had a few less ad breaks. Another reason to be grateful that Aunty Beeb has the full Olympic coverage for the foreseeable future...

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

Have to agree about the C4 coverage, it seemed as if having coughed up for the pundits services they just felt they had to use them, even when just staying silent and letting the event speak for itself was the obvious and far superior option.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

One thing I did notice was that when the first opera singer was warbling they had someone signing, but the camera kept drifting away, so not really much point having the signer there, as no one from the audience would be able to see them...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

alan14

There are cameras that feed straight to the giant screens around the stadium. I would imagine they might have put a signer into one of the corners.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The Paralympics TV coverage is separate to the main games, the broadcast licences were sold directly by Locog. No idea who would be providing the feed to the broadcasters

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert