We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Paralympics and Drugs

Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Just got to wondering if the athletes taking part in the paralympic games, are treated the same as the ones in the Olympic Games? Surely a lot of them are on drugs as a matter of course. Some would probably be in pain if they didn't take drugs for instance.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Paralympic athletes are subject to the same list of banned substances as Olympic athletes. Anyone who requires additional medication for pain or treatment must apply for an exemption.

It's a common misconception that lots of paralympians are routinely prescribed drugs - they're not, although some of them with spinal injuries do need pain relief.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

One of the things that got me thinking about it is the pain in my back right at this minute. There's no way I could do anything other than the 100 meter stumble. Mind you if I were younger and with the proper medication, I would have a go too..... I wish them the very best of luck.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Imagine yourself hardly being able to see anything but vague colours and shapes on the edges of your field of vision.

Now imagine yourself running a 200 or 100 metre race with no chance of seeing the other runners or the track itself, or knowing when the finish line is coming up. That would be the challenge facing Libby Clegg, who will compete for us in the paralympics.

Amazingly,Libby manages to do it with the help of her guide runner, a man called Mikail Huggins, who runs alongside, his hand attached to Libby's via a length of plastic tube. He 'calls' the race to her, telling her when to accelerate, or change direction slightly. He does all this wile keeping pace with her, matching his stride to hers in perfect harmony.

Between them they won a silver medal at last year's world championships and two gold medals at this year's European championships.

It's the stuff that films are made of, it will be quite something to see them run in the paralympics.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I'd certainly imagine more paralympians than olympians will be taking something (prescribed), being paraplegic myself and having spent some time in the world of disabled sport.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing