We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lexmark to stop printer production

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Only inkjet printers.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Not entirely surprising. I have a Lexmark Printer/Scanner. Good product but so expensive to run. No compatible inks available, only refilled cartridges. Very heavy on ink. Been gathering dust for several years now.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Lexmark printers are regarded as disposable, the printer with starter carts is much cheaper than replacement carts, and will probably die before the starter carts have run out.

There's no compatible cartridges available as Lexmark used the US DMCA to stop various companies from making replacements, as they had to reverse engineer the chips, which was a breach of copyright.

I remember when I worked at time we used to give Lexmark printers away with PCs, they didn't cost us a bean, Lexmark would ship a new container full very week. Like Gillette, they made their money on the refills. Except now they don't as lots of people have got into the habit of refilling cartridges, and Lexmark have gone so far down the route of cheap product, expensive refills that they can't now increase the price of their printers

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Lexmark was once part of IBM, and was sold off in 1991 as part of IBM's drive to maintain its core business at a time when smaller computer manufacturers were nibbling away at its market share.

Lexmark was then headed up by an ex-IBM Vice president, and he set about making the new company profitable with a vengeance. By the end of 1995 Lexmark had a turnover of over 2 billion dollars - almost all of it from the printer market.

Times change,and businesses must change too, or die. Sales of inkjet printers are declining as people increasingly post images to social media sites rather than printing them. Likewise, when it comes to written communications email is the method of choice now, rather than printed letters.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Can't say I'm surprised by this really! One of the first things I look into when purchasing a new printer, is it's ability to use compatible cartridges. If it can't or none are available I discount it from my search.

The fact that printer ink on a litre for litre comparison is more expensive than petrol says a lot about the manufacturers business model!

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps a late addition to this post, but I wonder if this will effect Dell, because at one time, Dell used re-badged Lexmark as one of their own named products.

In the main the only difference was the print cartridges, that had a slight modification between the Lexmark and Dell compatibility. if you knew the modification, then obtaining replacements were not to much of a problem.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

They really priced themselves out of a market. Whilst I have never owned a Lexmark printer, I know people who have and the cost of ink carts. has always been the downside of ownership.

I must admit, when printing "keepers" I use either a Canon IP8500 or for anything smaller a HiTi dye sublimation printer

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

It does look to me that Dell are still selling rebadged Lexmark printers, so they'll need to find a new printer partner, they've got a couple of years before Lexmark completely shut down the inkjet division...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......