We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Flight query about cabin pressure

CurlyWhirly
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have never flown before but am flying to Majorca in October.

My partner (who has flown before) said that on take off I should suck a sweet to avoid a ringing sound in my ears caused by the change of air pressure.

What I can't understand is how the cabin air pressure changes as all planes are airtight ?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

CurlyWhirly, I have never been in/on an aeroplane, so I can empathize...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaXvFT_UyI8

I hope you have a great holiday.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

Of course an airframe has a finite life, and of course metal fatigue can occur, but as I said earlier, modern airliners are built to withstand many pressurisation cycles without any ill-effects.

For most commercial aircraft that means a life cycle of around 75,000 pressurization cycles, which equates to an operating life of about 20 years for short-haul aircraft,and much longer for those flying long-haul routes.

The reason for pressurisation is to protect the passengers however, and not the airframe.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

CurlyWhirly

Flying is by far the safest mode of transport so please have no worries and enjoy not only your holiday but your flight. As most have said already, any discomfort will happen on the decent and for those who feel it either the pinching the nose and blowing or sucking a sweet which some airlines supply will do the trick.

Drink plenty of water before you leave and go easy on the alcohol although having said that yours in a short flight and it shouldn't be a problem.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Flying is by far the safest mode of transport"

That's certainly true - no other form of transport is so rigorously safety-checked and regulated.

Research done in America has shown that statistically you are far safer in an aircraft than in any other form of transport - 19 times safer than in a car.

Your chance of being killed in a commercial airliner is 1 in 7 million

For a bee sting it's 1 in 5.5 million, and for a lightning strike it's 1 in 1.9 million.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

FE

Every pressurisation has an ill effect, and the effects are cumulative.

However, I'm not going to labour the point any more.

WTM

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I'm not going to labour the point any more."

You don't really have one.

Every time you turn the steering wheel of your car you set up stresses in the steering column.

Eventually it will fail.

However, it is designed with a finite life.

Ever since the Comet crashes of the early 50s airframes are designed to have one too.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

I'm sure all the comments have really re-assured CurlyWhirly on facing his first flight!!

Anyway CurlyWhirly my brother flew 25,000 hours plus, starting with the Berlin Airlift then BOAC/BA ( VC10s etc) without any injury to himself or anyone on board.

So enjoy.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Thanks to everyone for the comments about me enjoying my first holiday abroad :)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You should have good weather in October - it can be as warm as 23 degrees, and the beaches are far less crowded.

Have a great holiday, and tell us about it when you get back.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite