We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Flight query about cabin pressure

CurlyWhirly
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have never flown before but am flying to Majorca in October.

My partner (who has flown before) said that on take off I should suck a sweet to avoid a ringing sound in my ears caused by the change of air pressure.

What I can't understand is how the cabin air pressure changes as all planes are airtight ?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

re the flight times. I suspect that they are giving you local times for take off and landing and the flight times are about the same.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Woolwell, oh right. I did wonder !

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Just checked and the actual outbound flight time is 2 hrs 40 mins.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Sucking a sweet helps but so does pinching your nose and trying to blow through it.

Yes, but the latter only on the way down, not up!

WTM

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

**"Just checked and the actual outbound flight time is 2 hrs 40 mins" **

How so as the flight departs Bristol at 1800 but doesn't arrive at Majorca until 21.40 that's 3 hs 40 mins not 2 hrs 40 mins ?

Like this post
Paddy

Likes # 0

Actually most of the above replies are generally true, but the reason for pressurising the aircraft cabin is that as the aircraft ascends the air gets thinner, therefore less oxygen is available(above 10,000 feet the human body requires suplimentary oxygen) so the aircraft is pressurised to maintain an altitude roughly equivilent to 6,000-7,000ft. The alternative would be to provide everyone on board with oxygen via a mask, this is the reason for providing emergency 'Drop Down' masks to every seat for use in the event of a cabin pressure failure when the aircraft would then make an emergency descent to below 6,000 ft. Enjoy your holiday. Paddy

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

CurlyWhirly you have to take into account local time enter link description here.

At this moment the time in London is 4.20 but in Palma it's 5.20 one hour in front of us, so on the out journey you lose an hour but gain that hour back on the return.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

And I thought you were going to be talking about Comedy on Radio 4.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

"The reason for this is to reduce stress on the pressurised section of the fusilage."

That's a myth. The fuselage of a modern passenger aircraft is built to withstand cabin pressure changes, and can easily handle the stresses involved. The reason for cabin pressurisation is passenger comfort.

The cabin pressure can fluctuate slightly, but the automatic system setting is for 7000 feet, or around 10.9 psi. Any setting higher than 10,000 feet would cause problems with altitude sickness symptoms, as Woolwell points out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'