We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Home Insurance Claim

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Some of you will know from other posts that I have had an outstanding insurance claim for cracked screen on a 2-½ year old laptop (Acer Aspire) which fell off the bed (no, I was alone!).

With a new screen costing £400+ (thanks Woolwell!) plus VAT and labour, I didn’t really expect a repair, but I did expect a cash offer towards a replacement and I found, and purchased in anticipation, a slightly lower spec 15” Acer Aspire.

Imagine my surprise when they only offered replacement, which turned out to be a 14” twin screen Acer Iconia, with a much higher spec., with no betterment levy

My only other experience of a claim was a car, for which I was offered market value.

Is it normal these days for insurance companies to offer upgraded replacements, rather than negotiate a write off cost?

I deliberately placed this in Speakers’ Corner, FE, rather than Consumerwatch, as I am seeking opinions rather than advice

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Laptops and computers increase in spec and decrease in price, which is pretty much the opposite of cars.

So a laptop that cost £500 30 months ago will now cost around £250, and for around £400 you will probably get something that would have cost £800 then

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"for around £400 you will probably get something that would have cost £800 then"

Exactly.

It cost £600 odd then, and they have replaced it with something that costs £1,000+ now!

It's not logical.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

morddwyd what you have to remember is that if the laptop has been supplied by the insurance company then they will get a very good discount on that product.

What may cost you £1000 they will get for £600 plus they get a happy customer.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I suppose so, but by the same token, the replacement Aspire which I bought for £600 would probably have cost them £400!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

morddwyyd but that Acer you had is now an Antique and and who would want any thing as old as that, nobody wants to store old computer equipment longer than they have to it costs money

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

It is a good offer from the insurance company and better than one would expect. In my opinion, as has been pointed out, obtaining a "New for Old" replacement laptop with an identical spec to 2 years ago would be difficult - specs have improved and prices at the entry level remained static at between £300 - £400.

Without knowing the exact model & spec of the original it's hard to comment on what would be an equivalent nowadays in terms of spec and price. I'm very surprised that a replacement screen would have cost as much as you stated. A brand new replacement screen would normally cost around £50 - £80 and labour would realistically be less than a couple of hours - say £100. My local repair guys would charge under £100 including VAT for a replacement screen although that might be a second hand screen admittedly.

Insurance companies do have agreements with High Street names to quickly resolve claims and you have no doubt had a good offer. I can assure you though that the margins quoted are far too generous - Working on a 10% margin would be nearer the mark.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"nobody wants to store old computer equipment longer than they have to it costs money"

Not sure how this is relevant. I don't intend to store it. It's straight down the Recycling Centre once I get the optical drive and memory out (I'm already using the hard disc!).

Don't get me wrong - I know I've done well out of this, state of the art dual screen laptop with a free upgrade to Win 8,(which may not be such a bonus!) all for my £75 policy excess.

The reason the screen is so expensive is that it is a touch screen, so has a digitizer behind it..

Had it not been so I would not even have bothered claiming, as a replacement 15" screen would cost less than the policy excess.

"Insurance companies do have agreements with High Street names to quickly resolve claims a"

Unfortunately mine is not one of them. It has taken three months and the initial steps of a formal complaint to the regulator to resolve this.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

morddwyd when I mentioned storing I did not mean you to store it, rather you can't get a straight swap for your old m/c because it's so old and no company wants a 2 year old laptop on their premises.

Do not take it down to the Recycling Centre any P/C shop will give you money for that laptop even with a broken screen.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I had an Iiyama 21" screen which was the bees knees years ago and weighed in at around 100lbs and was very expensive at the time. It was so heavy that it had its own powered motor to change its setting and it had a wonderful picture. When we were hit by lightning it blew somewhere inside and it was replaced with a 22" Samsung flat screen which was even better and cost a fraction of the Iiyama when new. The Insurance Company initially asked me to return the Iiyama but when they found out the weight they just asked me to get rid of it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"any P/C shop will give you money for that laptop even with a broken screen."

Judging by the amount of laptops, PCs, monitors, printers and the like in the "Computer Parts" skip at my local centre I would think that's a non-starter round here (it would help if we had a computer shop other than PC World).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow