We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Richard Branson and West coast rail

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have to admire the man, he isn't afraid to put his money where his mouth is and I just hope he gets what he wants enter link description here because if First do get the contract then they either have to put fares up or lay people off and the only ones to lose out are the public who get the brown end of the stick again.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think that the customers who have been using Branson's trains are quite happy with them. So that is why they have re-acted by trying to get the powers that be to change their minds. Why change something that isn't broken?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

When will he learn?

He is not part of the Establishment, and they don't like him.

Politicians don't like people who don't make a profit, because they can't tax them.

Remember he offered to run the National Lottery for nothing, and they turned him down and awarded it to Camelot.

This meant that in the fullness of time they could raid it for their own "good causes".

Would have been a lot more difficult if all that was being taken just from lucky prizewinners!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

morddwyd I hope he never learns, he's got more brains and sense than a lot of the people who are supposed to be running this country.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

When he last bid for the lottery I was working at a large North West based computer manufacturer, and Richard Branson toured the plant as we were tendering the terminals.

He noticed that all the staff had passes to let us into every room (this was new then, and the norm now).

Branson asked the MD why we all had passes for every room, did he not trust the staff. The MD said something along the lines of you can't trust everyone, so Branson replied "If you don't trust your staff, I'm not sure I trust your company", then he turned on his heels and departed.

I like a man with principles, we'd offered to build the terminals at 80% of the cost of the next nearest bidder but lost out on any possible job because he decided he didn't like the company.

In the end it was moot, because he didn't win the lottery contract.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

He probably refused to offer future board places for the ministers in charge of the decision.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Judging by the previous efforts of both companies I think I would prefer Virgins bid.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 1

When you think about it it's a bit like having quotes for a building job at your house and taking the lowest quote even though it's thousands less than any others, then wondering why the firm can't finish the job.

But I suppose all this government want is the most money and as long as every thing remains OK till after the next election they aren't bothered about the peasants who use the railways.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Possibly off subject slightly, but I can never understand how a train company can get fined for under performance, and at the same time claim subsidies to maintain a service.

The other month there was a documentary on television, when it was stated that there are less regulations for transporting human passenger's that those for transporting animals, in regards to allowed spacing. Yet at the same time, prices are being constantly increased, and passenger comfort appears to be on the decrease, especially at peak or near peak times.

Years ago, I use to enjoy train travel, but since privatisation I haven't travelled on a UK train, and I don't think that its likely that I will?.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I think we have to give the Dept of Transport some credit. They're not a bunch of idiots who've never done this type of contract award before.

They either think FirstGroups figures stack up or that they have the financial clout to stand the losses incurred. If FirstGroup let the government down they may be prevented from tendering for future contracts, so it's not something that's easy to walk away from mid contract.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I think we have to give the Dept of Transport some credit. They're not a bunch of idiots"

Ho Ho Ho!

How droll!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data