We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The first man to set foot

Wes.Clox
Resolved

Likes # 0

on the moon has died at the age of 82.

Neil Armstrong, pioneer.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Same age as me. I'd still like to set foot on the moon....

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Buzz Aldrin and Mike Collins & their families, [Neil's fellow travellers to the Moon] will be especially saddened.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

An interesting item about his history, click here. A legend in his own life time.

Like this post  
tigertop2

Likes # 0

A very special guy who was so quiet and modest about his achievments. I spent a few days in his company in the 70's. As I write this his letter to me from that period sits on my desk. One of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. He will be remembered for a very long time as one of the great pioneers of our age.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

The word "Awesome" is horribly overused in totally inappropriate contexts these days, but I think the Saturn V deserves it as does any man brave enough to strap themselves into the damned thing, especially after what happened to the crew of Apollo 1. Truly heroic in the proper sense of the word.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

I respect the man s humbleness and envy his experience,a 'giant leap' of the imagination brought the future a little closer.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

He's taken that final step for mankind.

May your God be with you Neil

RIP

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

This morning,I heard on the radio that Armstrong & Aldrin spent 2 and a half hours walking on the lunar surface, before they climbed back aboard 'The Eagle'.Three years later, in 1972...the last Apollo mission to the Moon...the Nasa Astronauts spent 2 and a half days on the Moon.

...and a farewell message from a relative concluded..." whenever you are out and look up at the Moon, think of Neil and just give a little wink."

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I shall be in my garden this evening.....remembering.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

On July 20, 1969, as commander of the Apollo 11 Lunar Module, Neil Armstrong was the first person to set foot on the Moon. His first words became legendary and were celebrated all round the World.

But just before he re-entered the Lander to return to Earth he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck Mr Gorsky" Most people thought that it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However on checking there was no Cosmonaut called Gorsky.

Over the years, many people questioned Armstrong as to what the "Good luck Mr Gorsky" meant but Armstrong always just smiled.

On July 5, 1995, In Tampa Bay, Florida, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr Gorsky had died, so Armstrong felt that he could now answer the question.

In 1938 when he was a kid in a small mid western town, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit the ball into his neighbour's yard by their bedroom window. His neighbours were Mr & Mrs Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs Gorsky shouting at Mr Gorsky.

"Sex!, you want sex!. You'll get sex when the kid next door walks on the Moon"

Whether this is true or not it certainly answered the question.

Hope it doesn't upset anyone but I thought it was extremely funny :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia