We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

gas pipes outside the house

WhiteTruckMan
Resolved

Likes # 0

In case anyone was wondering about the increase in the local moth population, it's because I've finally decided to pry open my wallet and splash out on a new boiler. I've had several quotes, and the one I am most likely to go with has made a novel suggestion that I dont know what to make of that nobody else has, and I thought I would run it by the forum to see what people thought of it.

I need a new gas supply pipe. I'm not disputing this, as they have all told me the same thing. The old one is 15mm, and I need a 22mm pipe. But where it gets inteeresting is that it has been suggested that instead of a somewhat convoluted routing of the new pipe, they simply bore a hole through the outside wall and run the new pipe up the outside of the side of the house then back in at the new boiler.

I've never even heard of this sort of thing being done before, let alone seen it. The side of my house has a driveway, so in theory there is no public access, but I'm concerned about a number of things, namely metal thieves, accidental damage, and weather. Do gas pipes freeze up in winter if above ground?

The fitter said he'd done quite a few like this, with never any problems, but he would say that, wouldnt he? I checked his gas safe card, along with picture, and he's qualified, so it should be legal. But that doesnt necessarily mean it's a good idea.

Has anybody any thoughts or experience in this sort of thing?

WTM

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Like many, my gad meter is in a plastic box on the front wall.

The pipes are exposed to frost etc. below the box, and the plastic box is no protection against even a small hammer.

I've never heard of any problems, but a longer length of pipe may be more attractive to thieves, particularly in some parts of the country.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It's common practice to run gas pipes outside from a meter box to the entry point for the kitchen/boiler. I have seen some that go around two sides of a house.If it's a sraight run you could hide it a plastic cable conduit trunking strip if it matches the outside of the house (rendered) or use a cable guard.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Yes it's quite common now, my neighbour has the same type of external fitting as you describe. The reason is of course cost. If you want it hidden within you'll have to pay more.

It'll also involve a lot of internal upheaval in the way of carpets back and floors up, possibly some wall repairs as with rewiring. I had mine rewired in the spring and the new feed to the garage was done in the same manner, through the outer wall from the consumer unit and an armoured cable clipped along the outside into the garage. The alternative was to dig the driveway up to fit it as per the original feed.

Now that you're aware of this type of gas fitting, take a local walk, you'll see them now that you're aware of it and know where to look. In reality it's no more visual than normal external soil pipes.

As for the metal theft worry, if you expect to have your garden gates nicked as a matter of course, it's then not recommended:)

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Brother in law had it done last year.20mm or 22mm whatever size it is.

His gas meter is at the side of the garage so they fitted the copper pipe on the outside wall all the way down to the kitchen and in that way.

It is open to all weathers so not sure how long it should last without any sort of decay.

The pipe itself should be ok just wondering about the soldered connections in the frosty and cold weather.

Looks like they are doing the same with electric cables as well.Wife's friend just got her house rewired and they took the wires out of the house through the wall and ran them round the side of the building the same way as they do the gas pipes nowadays.

I suppose it saves a lot of mess but it is not the way I would like to have mine done.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[I suppose it saves a lot of mess but it is not the way I would like to have mine done.]

I was referring to the Electricity supply of course and not the Gas Supply.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Running gas pipes on external walls is a common practice, and complies with Gas Safe codes of practice, so no worries there, as long as the pipe run goes by the shortest possible route, and is properly clipped to the wall. As your installer is Gas Safe registered I'm sure that will be the case. He should sleeve the pipe through the wall in a plastic conduit, by the way. This can subsequently be filled with expanding foam to seal any gaps.

There will be no danger from frost or weathering - the pipe will do good service for many years.

One quick point worth knowing. Modern combi boilers have self-moderating burners, and when they go at full blast there's a considerable gas demand. In some cases where pipe runs are long, or contain multiple changes of direction it's advisable to run 28mm pipe from the gas meter to within a metre or so of the boiler, especially if there are branches that feed a hob, or any other gas device. The reason for this is that a big demand from the boiler when it fires up can cause a sudden drop in flow to the ancilliary devices, and if a hob is a few years old it may not have a flame-failure device. This could mean that a hob burner that is on a low setting could go out, and then, when flow is restored to normal it could allow unlit gas to escape into the room. It's unlikely to happen in most modern homes, but it's worth mentioning. Gas regulations are very strict on these matters.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Jock1e

"Wife's friend just got her house rewired and they took the wires out of the house through the wall and ran them round the side of the building the same way as they do the gas pipes nowadays."

I hope the electric cables were enclosed in round PVC conduit, carefully clipped to the wall? It's OK to run cables in this way (It's often done to get power up to a loft conversion) provided all cable is enclosed in conduit.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

[I hope the electric cables were enclosed in round PVC conduit, carefully clipped to the wall]

They were covered but by what I am not sure as we have not seen it yet and are going by word of mouth.

Like this post
Wes.Clox

Likes # 0

Unsure if this will work.

We have just had a full rewire and new combie central heating. The old boiler was in an out house just to the right of the light, inlet now bricked up. The new combie boiler is where the old airing cupboard is in the centre of the house. One gas pipe goes to this, the other to the gas range in the kitchen.

External gas pipe

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Richard.Sole

Nice neat job.But like anything else that should not be there it tends to spoil the look of the house.

But I suppose all of us will have to have the same done eventually when we modernise our systems.

I had a new back boiler fitted in my fire about 5 years ago so that should last another 5 years or so.Pipes were already there so no new gas pipes were needed.

I must admit the old metal gas pipes that are in my house do look a lot stronger than the copper ones nowadays especially when they are outside in all weathers.

I suppose it is down to time money and mess it would make if running the new pipes inside the house.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow