We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gender re-assigement and change of Birth Certificate

p;3

Likes # 0

I note this topic in the Press

born a man but now waiting a sex change op

I also note

changing a Birth Certificate

Surely what sex you are at Birth cannot be changed as that is the sex you are born as; if you seek a gender re-assigment op then you should maybe get a Gender re-assigment Certificate ?

Unless you are born as a hermaphrodite

see here

and your sex at birth cannot be determined and only an op can determined it

Then surely if you seek Gender re-assigment surgery your sex at birth remains that, what you were born as

If you seek to change it by an op later in life then that is not the sex you were born as and your Birth Certificate cannot be changed

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would tend to agree that 'what has been done, cannot be undone' with respect to birth certificates and the gender of the baby at birth.

Although it's hard to take (for some people)...if you were born black, yellow, white, a boy, a girl...that's how you are going to remain for the rest of your life as far as the law stands.(re birth certificates.)

Otherwise, it would make a mockery of the Birth Certificate protocol.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"If you seek to change it by an op later in life then that is not the sex you were born as and your Birth Certificate cannot be changed"

The first thing to point out is that it is not necessary to undergo a surgical procedure in order to obtain a Gender recognition certificate.

Once you've obtained the gender recognition certificate you can obtain a new birth certificate which will record your gender. In order to understand why this is important you need to think about how it must feel for someone to have spent years of their life in the 'wrong' gender. The psychological effects of this can be severe, and the relief, once you have been recognised in law as being of the 'right' gender is immense.

The last thing a caring society should do is force such people to retain their original 'wrong' gender birth certificate, with all the embarrassment and anguish that might cause, if it was to stay in the public domain.

That's why new certificates are issued, and it's right that they are.

I invite you to give me one good reason why it shouldn't be done.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Now I know for certain that I am too old for this world.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Will census and school records similarly now have to be amended?

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Actually, FE I think I can think of one reason. Its extreme, but would replacement of birth certificates hinder perhaps the detection of crime. Would the link with unsolved crime commited by the gender reassignee be broken?

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Not birth certificate but what about finger print data base?

A hypothetical extreme of events, you commit a minor crime as a male and your finger prints go on record, 5 years later after gender re-assignment you commit another crime and the only circumstantial evidence against you is your finger prints. You could refute the evidence if you could hide the fact of your gender re-assignment!

Yeh I know, clutching as straws but you never know the lengths some people might go to get away with crime.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Fourm Member, FE had set us a challenge :-)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Black hat

Fingerprints aren't circumstantial evidence; that's the first thing to say.

Secondly, you would have a job refuting fingerprint evidence, and during a police investigation the fact of your gender change would become known. Section 22 of the gender change act makes it a criminal offence for anyone to inappropriately disclose that information to a third party

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

I was only speculating with regards to crime & gender re-assignment, thanks for the info. I never knew of section 22 of the gender change act, you learn something new every day.

I am also well aware of what it takes to go through this procedure; a friend of mine is due to have surgery soon after more than ten years of psychological assessment, hormone therapy and endless form filling. He to a she has also had nightmares with employment. The only work he/she has been able to do for a while and now lost is in charity shops. Who would employ a male looking person with developing breasts?

The half way point for many adult gender re-assignment people is the worst time! Prior to surgery hormone treatment goes on for years and for male to female breast development becomes obvious while male characteristics remain.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home