We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's Cold Up North

oresome

Likes # 0

A new EU ruling means that expats living in sunnier climes are entitled to receive the governments winter fuel allowance.

To limit the cost of the benefit, it's proposed that a temperature threshold is set. This could mean that those over sixty in the south of England lose out as well as limiting the number of expats receiving it.

Perhaps you will have to declare whether you live in a south facing aspect house in borderline cases?

The reality is that the benefit will probably wither on the vine anyway due to it not keeping pace with fuel inflation.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

john bunyan so you will have just started on your free TV license

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

On the subject of heating practicalities in the home, my new neighbour has just had her new gas central heating system installed and fired up.She's moved into the flat directly below me so I will not go cold this winter ;o]

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

woodchip

Yes, free tv licence (sent equal amount to a charity) and winter fuel allowance. These two are the only benefits I have ever had - no dole, no sickness benefit, no council tax benefit, no housing benefit not pension credit, so I do not think I have had too much from the taxpayer, of whom I am also one, as I had 2 jobs for 30 years and luckily was never sick (until now) nor unemployed. I am lucky, or prudent to have state and private pensions (to which I contributed)

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Hope you're fit enough to solve the postcard puzzles tonight. As I have had a busy day washing and polishing cars etc, and catching up a few jobs in the garden, I have decided that I will have a quick look at the first one and if I don't know it I am off to bed. Because I am cream crackered. I don't seem to have to do much to get that way these days either.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger