We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Richard III's remains: Leicester car park dug up

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I didn't know council car parks dated back so far...

He wasn't the most pleasant of kings that we had.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The ancient King is famously remembered to this very day in Cockney rhyming slang parlance.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

As epitomised in the Two Ronnies sketch circa 1976...

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Living in Leicester I suppose we should be grateful it's not DeMonfort University that are digging up the carpark,given their apparent desire to take over every possible piece of land in that area by building on it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Another huge commitment for the Met and the army, a Royal funeral at Winsor!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I wonder if this is what really happened in 1485 at Bosworth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvXKukgk034

It's funny that one of the actors in that scene (Tony Robinson...who plays Baldrick) is now the presenter of the popular archaeology TV programme on Channel 4.

I hope they do a 'special' on the 'Royal Dig'.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I wonder whose DNA they will use to confirm any finds

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

They (the archaeologists) might find traces of decayed organic materials like leather shoes or belts or other artefacts...from the 15th century using carbon-dating techniques (to verify the approximate decade/century)...but DNA identification of human remains ( and proving that they belong to King Richard III ) seem impossible [to me].

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think Richard 3rd's brother, Edward 4th, is buried at Windsor, so maybe they could get DNA to compare, from his remains?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

They can get DNA from the bone marrow after a couple of thousand years.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"They can get DNA from the bone marrow after a couple of thousand years."

Mitochondrial DNA has been extracted from the teeth of a man who died at least 9000 years ago. His skeleton was discovered in a cave in Cheddar in 1903, and scientists extracted the DNA 94 years later.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best camera phone of 2015: iPhone 6 Plus vs LG G4 vs Galaxy S6 vs One M9 vs Nexus 6

IDG UK Sites

In defence of BlackBerrys

IDG UK Sites

Why we should reserve judgement on Apple ditching Helvetica in OS X/iOS for the Apple Watch's San...

IDG UK Sites

Retina 3.3GHz iMac 27in preview: Apple cuts £400 of price of Retina iMac with new model