We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Restoration of Coulston Mill in Yorkshire.

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Switching channels last night I came across the Restoration of Coulston Mill in Yorkshire.

Just thought what a wonderful family and what they were doing was truly remarkable.

The old saying, When the going gets tough the tough get going.

Born in the U/S and now her home is in Yorkshire and loving every minute of it.

A little warning this carries on for about an hour but well worth watching.

It is from restoration Homes with Caroline Quenton.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01l3bhs.

If they ever get it going I think I will treat myself to a day out and go and see it.

This takes you straight to it just press the start button and watch on full screen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01m7zq8/RestorationHomeSeries2Coulton_Mill/

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I saw that program, 'twas great. It never ceases to amaze my how seemingly derelict old buildings, can be so well restored and in such a fairly short time-span.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Nontek

Yes I have to agree with you it was well woth watching.

I missed the first 5 minutes of it last night and did not know that she was an American.

I could not quite place her accent.

What a brave woman to stay in that house with the state it was in and no heating.And Hubby working away most of the time.

Home is where the heart is and she is Home.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Slightly off subject but I hope she does a better job than the Spanish lady who thought she would have a go at an old master.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Condom

Yes seen that what a mess she made of it.Hope it can be restored.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I just wonder how many women would actually have stayed the night in this house.

I certainly would not have.It is amazing how others see it and what they can do to improve it.My first thoughts were Not even if I was getting it for free would I have it.

Husband away to to work for 6 weeks at a time and every time he went away she would buy a few more animals.

Don't think I mentioned that she had her 3 year old daughter to watch at the same time.

Just great to see how she [they] got on with the job and how they though alike and just loved this house with the old broken down mill.

They then find that the mill goes back to the 13th century and get help to save and restore it.

Even my wife watched this one and it is hard to get her to watch anything other than all of the Soap programs.

Anyhow closing the thread now as I think the Video only lasts another couple of days before it gets removed.

Like this post  
woodchip

Likes # 0

It brought back memory's of my own house that was only fit for condemning when we moved in. and we did the same lived in it while doing all the work of rebuilding it, wife and hi was up one night while 1.00am with light bulb stuck in a socket over a nail in a wall while we mixed concrete about two tones by hand, as we was also short on money to buy ready mix, am talking 45 years back

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

woodchip

Hard job mixing the concrete by hand bet you were knackered after that.I used to work in the building trade when I was younger and sometimes had to mix the concrete by hand if a mixer was not available.That was hard work and I got the bad back to prove it.

Ive had a few houses that needed something done to them.

Best way was to move in and do them room by room.None of them would even come close to the Mill house for problems.But in those days we were younger and just got on with it.

Once you get it all done and you come in from work to settle down and the wife say's I think we will need to give that room another coat of paint or redecorate it as I am not that keen on the wallpaper.And then you start again and again and again.

I tried to teach my wife how to decorate but that was a waste of time.I am waiting to decorate the Living room again.I have put her off for about a year but the nagging is getting a bit stronger so looks like I may have to give in and give it a try.Getting a bit older now and don't have the energy I used to have so not sure how long it may take.

I think the short of money applied to most of us in those days.My dad helped with the plumbing and built in a fireplace for us.The brother in law was a joiner so he would help out when required.And of course watching others do there work you eventually pick it up yourself.You become the jack of all trades and master of none.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger