We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Surge in Supermarket Bargain Hunting

oresome

Likes # 0

Apparently there used to be a stigma attached to looking for cheap deals and using discount vouchers at the supermarket, but the economic recession has made the practise more acceptable.

Do you have a fixed shopping list or do you buy what's on special offer?

Do you feel any embarrassment in handing over piles of coupons at the checkout?

What about the RFQS (reduced for quick sale) shelves. Do you not give them a second glance, a furtive sideways glance as if not really interested, or push your way to the front in case you are missing something?

Perhaps you do it all on line and don't demean yourself by joining in the rough and tumble at the physical store.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

On the last day of each calendar month, some big supermarkets like to 'get rid of' stock dated best before 'end-of-month'...31st of August is the next opportunity to grab a bargain.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I spent hours in Morrison's last week doing a big shop with my better half. We had both decided to have a go at losing a few pounds before we both head off in different directions for a while. I was told that Morrison's have the best labelling with regards to calories and as I say we spent hours pouring over the details of everything we were buying. We didn't give two hoots for what the cost of an item was as long as its calorie content was low but at the checkout our choices weighed in much cheaper than our usual shopping.

Hope it works.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Condom

I think you have a new dieting slogan there

"Calories cost pounds"

:0)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I use Asda, as it's reliably cheaper than the other big Three. It may be dearer in some products than Aldi & Lidl, but I very often can't get a full shop from there, so end up going to Asda anyway.

I always check for discounts, bogoffs and Whoops'd products (Asda's RFQS stickers have whoops on them, so the goods are in the Whoops fridge).

I also make sure I check my receipt online the next day to print off my voucher if anything was cheaper elsewhere due to offers

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Morrison's have the best labelling....

They also have the best pies!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks