We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MPs' Expenses Again

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I see there is a news story about MPs claiming accountants fees on expenses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19330319 and others

I know that there are some self employed on this forum, and some with their own businesses, the FE for one, so leaving out all the usual anti-politician bile, is this a legitimate business expense?

I personally don't think so, but I was never in such a position, so I can't really advance an argument, just an opinion.

Having said that, I used to claim shaving as a business expense!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

As a BT cable engineer I used to 'claim' for handling petroleum jelly-filled cables (up to 100prs ...the jelly acting as a water barrier).

It worked out at 10p an hour...and it was taxed!

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

There seems to be two issues.

Is it right that MPs can claim back the cost of employing an accountant on their expenses?

It seems that they are allowed by their watchdog and I won't argue with that decision providing it is solely for duties connected with being an MP. If they've complicated tax affairs due to outside business interests that's another matter.

Should MPs be taxed on the money claimed back for this purpose?

No, that doesn't seem right to me.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

The way things stand at the moment if they are deemed as self employed then they can surely claim the accountant as a tax deductible. My argument would be more along the lines of why should the self employed have this right while others do not. Surely as an employee I should have just as much right to claim for accountants expenses when filling in my tax return as someone who is self employed. I would agree that the job would likely not be as onerous but that would be reflected in the total claimed.

Perhaps this is a case of my Human Rights being restricted!!

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

We also get hammered more in other ways. As self-employed my ESA was only contribution based so stopped after a year, All records have to be kept for 6 yrs and HMRC can demand entry to my home at anytime to examine them. Even though I have been unable to work for 3 years and it is accepted I will ever work again I am stil subject to that for another 3 years.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

never work again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite