We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Water Meter - The Result

ams4127
Resolved

Likes # 0

Some may remember that I had a thread going back in March about getting a water meter fitted, and asking for advice on saving water. I had not been impressed by getting a proposed bill for £42/month.

Here's what happened.

The meter was fitted in April by Welsh Water, which took about four hours. I also got a "water saving" pack, which consisted of a couple of bags to go in the cisterns, a new shower head, a new garden hose sprinkler, various pipe/tap filters and a few more bits.

After asking me some questions about our useage, they reckoned that my bill would be £31/month and the DD was set up.

My first bill has just arrived and the results are excellent.

My new DD will be £19.50/month. This amounts to a saving of £20.50/month from the original unmetered bill. About £246/year saved.

And all for free!

This has involved very little extra effort in saving water by my wife and I. Indeed, we have had several visits from our children in their mobile homes and have filled their tanks on many occasions.

I can thoroughly recommend fitting a water meter. Especially if you live in an area, as we do, where the prices are high.

Like this post
Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

£13 a month now after starting at £7 about 10 years ago. Just the two of us. Up north in North Yorkshire.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Three years ago I was paying £52 per month on the water rates. After I swapped to a meter it went down to about £17 to £18 per month. I think it is now about £25 per month, but that is probably because I used a lot jet washing a lot of my paving slabs and other areas such as walls and some woodwork that was a bit grubby. It will settle down again to about £20 after a couple of months as it just becomes a blip in the usage.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

What intregues me is how some folk view such matters with suspicion. I havea friend who is allegedly very money'savvy' but continue tp pay flat rate of about £250 whilst our metered supply in an identical household is less than half. Yet knowing this they still hang onto the flat rate

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I changed to a water meter about 6 years ago and for the first 2 years I did not have to pay anything ( I had just paid the bill for unwatered use- 6 months in advance)

It depends on your lifestyle.

I you are a person (or household) that has the sprinkler watering the garden for 2 or 3 hours a night,The Family all have deep baths (instead of showers) and in general don't ive a thought about how water you use, it will cost you more.

With a small adjustment-- Use the hosepipe (hold it -don't put it on the ground and leave it), have showers, think about turning taps off when not acually in use, you should save money.

This brings up another question.

You are charged for your Waste water (Percentage of water used) and the water that runs off your roof into their drains.If we have a dry year (my water goes into a Butt and waters the garden- not down their drains) why am I not charged less?

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Metered water and sewerage £108.26 for 6 months. Of this more than half, £56.00, is STANDING CHARGES!!

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Terry Brown Thames water offer a reduction if you can prove that they do not have deal with rain water self collected as in your case or as in many moderndevelopment goes into a soakaway

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Sparky Jack

Thanks for the info, I'll have alook into that and see what savings can be made ind if they are worth it?

Terry

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It would be interesting to know how other water companies work out rainwater disposal charges. My own water company seem to base costs on a 'rateable value' and not on the amount of rainwater (if any) their system is disposing off at any given time of the year.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It would be almost impossible to charge per amount of rainfall and open to dispute. Most water companies have a different charge for water that does not enter their sewers but they often do not know that your water goes into soakaways, etc. and you have to inform them.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Whatever pricing model is used, the infrastructure has to be installed and maintained and eventually replaced.

If we all suddenly had meters fitted and our bills reduced as a result, the water companies would be in difficulty. They might be supplying a little less water due to consumers taking more care, but their costs wouldn't fall by much.

Guess what? The price of metered water will rise when that day comes and we'll be back at square one as far as costs are concerned, but having to take care with water useage. Which I suppose is how it should be.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......