We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Too Many Gold Medal Winners.

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I heard a rumour that because there are so many gold medal winners at the Olympics, that it may not be possible for them all to be honoured in the New Year's Honours List... Ahhhh! what a shame.

Who will they choose then?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Exactly

How many people actually know who they're voting for? Most people just vote for a party

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

fourm member

*I get the impression you have a particular incident in mind that makes you say Coe was a poor MP in spite of the election result not supporting that view.

Do tell, please.*

Actually I can find nothing about his parliamentary career online, not a thing. Which isn't really much to show for 5 years in office

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

too many micky mouse sports in the olympics now.

sandpit volleyball, will womens wrestling will be moved to a mud pit in brazil, sync swimming, horse dressage, football, tennis, etc

wait till they include darts and snooker.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Sunnystaines

I suppose it all depends on what you quantify as a sport. I'm pretty sure that those that can hit 180 on a regular basis could argue that their skill is on a par with lets say archery or shooting both of which are Olympic sports. Billiards in its various forms are presently on the Olympic list for consideration but are unlikely for inclusion before 2020. Snooker may also be part of that consideration. As someone who plays competitive pool I can vouch that top players are indeed very skilful.

Golf, Rugby Softball & Baseball are all also under consideration and why not. Thousands of people play these games in virtually all countries of the world.

Perhaps you could give us your views on what are not in your opinion "mickey mouse sports"

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Condom you said:

"Golf, Rugby Softball & Baseball are all also under consideration and why not"....

I'll tell you why those sports are not worthy of Olympic inclusion...

'cos it's only mainly rich people that can afford the aforementioned sports...but I'll will nevertheless endorse Darts 'n' Pool as I am still in a strict training regime for Rio and/or beyond. [BTW I don't want a knighthood if I win a Gold ... a life-size bronze statue will do].

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

I played rugby, softball & baseball at school, and I went to a comprehensive.

I wouldn't say Rugby League was in any way a rich person's sport.

Now Golf, that's just a good walk spoiled...

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I understood that golf was already nailed on to be part of the Rio Olympics. As for it being a good walk spoiled, well obviously you have never played it. Skill is needed in abundance to become a top player. Even top amateurs are very skilful. I started playing golf when I was 68 years old and loved it. I was useless at it but as a pastime and an exercise it is ideal. I haven't mentioned the social side which is also excellent.

Yes it costs more than playing footie in the park for youngsters, but it is within reach. A lot of clubs help youngsters get started. I would hazard a guess that it would cost their parents less to kit them out for golf, than they already pay for computer games to keep them sat on their backsides all day and night.

But I agree some sports should not be in the Olympics. But if it goes on audience participation then we should be pushing for fishing. The percentage of people who fish compared to those who do synchronised drowning must be pretty enormous. Javelin throwing is only darts on a larger scale and not as accurate, so maybe the darts players should be able to strut their stuff too.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Sorry darts are out... Playing without the stimulant of alcohol would make them look pretty poor players. In fact I don't think they could do it.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...I'll concentrate on pool then. [All variations]

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Although I enjoyed the Olympics, there is a danger of an ever expanding portfolio of "sports", such that the cost of putting on the games is such that few countries can afford it. Some believe that the games should be radically cut back so that only athletics are involved - in the spirit of the original games.Other sports would continue to have their world championship. In this scenario they could be permanently held in Greece, with all participants paying their share.I do not share this view, but I do think that there should be fewer, rather than more, "sports" included. Football, tennis, beach volley ball, trap shooting are all ,perhaps, be considered for the chop, and darts, snooker etc should not, IMHO, be added. However skillful some may be, the test should be that of physical difficulty and need to train hard.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...