We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Too Many Gold Medal Winners.

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I heard a rumour that because there are so many gold medal winners at the Olympics, that it may not be possible for them all to be honoured in the New Year's Honours List... Ahhhh! what a shame.

Who will they choose then?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Without sounding too flippant...I think someone with the Midas touch will sort out the Gold 'Nuggets' from the 'also ran gold medal winners'.

J.Hunt is that midas man...if he is still in office.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I'm pretty sure that one or two will be honoured in some way to go with their gold post box and stamps. Perhaps they will do it the Forces way and honour the heads who are supposed to receive it on behalf of the others (excuse me while I choke);-)

The stamps have so far cost me over £100 and the thought of dozens more in the Para Olympics is going to cost me even more despite hearing that their stamps will be in sets of two rather than six like the others. I will also have to factor in the cost of the album sheets to hold all these mini sheets...what a field day for Stanley Gibbons.

I'm glad it happened for probably the last time in my life.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Honours are also rationed. I suspect only 2 knighthoods or damehoods - to go to people with long history in successive Games (Like Redgrave), CBE's for multi gold winners, OBE's and MBE's for others (less rationing as you go down the scale) Coe o get a CH or (less likely) a OM.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think they made a bit of a boobie in the first place, by awarding honours to sports-people and people in the entertainment business. It is now coming back to bite them. Whoever they are.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

I have long been critical of the honours list and the way they are dished out. My own view is that honours should be reserved for people who have made a difference doing what I call 'extra curricula' activities. The honours seem to go to people who have been doing what they are paid to do, usually quite well, rather than those who utilise their skills, spare time and money for the greater good. Services to art,entertainment, sport etc.?? I don't think so!!

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Seb Coe certainly deserves a higher honour for his achievement in bringing and organising a very successful Olympic games.

He has done a great job of raising the profile of Great Britain greatly and I and very grateful to him for what he has done this summer.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...did I over to the greatlys a bit too greatly?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Seb Coe was made a Lord because he failed miserably as an MP, and the Tories wanted to keep him close. Maybe we can now consider he's earned that title and keep it at that.

As for honours being given to people who've earned them, whoever thought of that idea, they've always been dished out to those in favour, it's just the target has shifted from the landed gentry to pop-stars & sports people.

Very few people do anything special to earn major honours, for that you need to look at the MBE section of the list...

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

fourm member

I'm not talking votes, I'm talking about his record whilst in parliament - he didn't exactly excel himself...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Seb Coe represented Falmouth and Camborne which is/was in LibDem land with strong Labour tendencies due to the port and mining. His predecessor as MP could well have been elected on personality and Coe followed. He probably did well to come second in 1997.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features