We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"Welfare Card"

woody

Likes # 0

With the ever increasing problem of ensuring Gov handouts go to the correct needy people - should we adopt the "Welfare Card" idea?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

That idea would eliminate the banks so I can't see it catching on.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Don't they already operate a scheme like that?

I've never claimed any kind of benefit, so I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the DWP had started a Post Office bank account scheme. I see people going into the Post Office to "cash their giro" and they pop a card into the chip & pin machine and wander off with their money. Same for pensions as well I think.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I guess that this refers to the Australian scheme BBC News.

How it would eliminate banks I have no idea. Perhaps Aitchbee may enlighten us.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Currently, all benefits are paid directly into banks accounts. Welfare cards would be issued to the 'needy' from local benefits offices so the banks would not enter into the equation.Most asylum seekers are paid their benefits this way, I think.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

I remember now a story about banks being forced to open accounts for benefits claimants - are they still doing this?

I have a feeling that most banks would rather not have certain types of people on their books, such as those with no employment history, or people recently granted asylum...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Not all benefits are paid into bank accounts although most are. Advice Guide.

Banks should have basic bank accounts for those who have difficulty getting a standard current account Money Saving Expert - Basic Bank Accounts.

There are many more than benefit claimants who use banks so "elimination" is hardly likely.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I seem to recall when the DWP wanted to charge the system of payments, most banks were not interested, and that was the result of the Post Office Card Account introduction?.

Regarding Giro payments, there are a number of problems with that, and most if not all are well known by the authorities and even those still on a Giro scheme. I am not sure if it applies now, but many police stations gave out crime reference numbers on certain days, because someone had their Giro stolen (usually by a family member or neighbour?). By the time those reporting the theft arrived at the payment office for a 'top-up', the staff had already been forewarned!.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

now days its paid into the bank account. if and only if yu dont have a bank account then they send a giro

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

For those that do not fully understand the "Welfare Card" idea. It is a card where a certain amount of the Gov handouts - most benefits - is put on a card and can only be spent at certain authorized shops for food and essential items. No cash back ,no alcohol etc. It has been tried in Australia as a pilot and is now being extended. Some people have volunteered to go on the scheme as it helps them manage their income. Others think it is embarrassing.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I thought that the Giro bank had been taken over by Alliance & Leicester some years ago and they have of course now been taken over by Santander. Are we talking about a generic Giro or do they still exist today under this name. Perhaps I am just out of touch.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...