We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

If you are not an engineer you will still appreciate this

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Click link to see a miniature engine being built and assembled. Very interesting whether you are the engineering type or not. http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

try this tangram link please.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tangram-Ancient-Chinese-Shapes-Games/dp/0140041818/ref=sr14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345490898&sr=1-4

all you need is a flat surface...to make the shapes.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Just come back from a visit to Blists Hill Victorian village where they had an exhibition of Meccano models, yes, it's still alive and kicking. From beam engines to (relatively accurate) working clocks the highlight to me was a drag crane. Stood about a foot high to cab roof, three foot from back of cab to end of jib and everything worked. Taken the chap six months to build having researched dimensions etc. on the internet then scaled it down. Reckoned there was four figures worth of bits, the oldest acquired when he was four about 60 years ago. He is due to dismantle it shortly so he can build something else.!!! The art of the engineer is not dead.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

csqwared

Interesting that you mention Meccano, my father is one of the Midlands leading Meccano builders, has had some of his models shipped over the world for exhibitions, here is just one of his prize winning models.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Surprised no torque wrench and using slot headed screws. Got a lot more patience than me. Wonder what the time scale was from start to finish including all the calculations.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Blackhat...was your Dad holdin' it steady (in the photo) 'cos he forgot about the special ballast leaded LEGO bricks? Hee Hee

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Blackhat

I'm pretty sure, going by your photograph, that he is the very chap we were speaking to. If he was an RAF pilot, Sabre jets I think, that's the man!! Can't remember the name of the meccano society involved but Blists Hill ain't that far from Ironbridge so certainly the right area. Small world!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED