We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

If you are not an engineer you will still appreciate this

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Click link to see a miniature engine being built and assembled. Very interesting whether you are the engineering type or not. http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Not quite up to that standard but some of you will have seen this before, slide show of the making of my own working paper clock.

slide show

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Blackhat. Yes I remember that. Did you call it an Origami Clock?

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

I have only ever called it a paper clock. It is not Origami, something that I am a dab hand at. I actually put on an exhibition of Origami 30 years ago and can still do a 3D Pegasus (winged horse) from memory in about 6 minutes.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Blimey. I used to make a paper hat when I was a kid, then you could alter it slightly and turn it upside down to float down the street gutter when it was raining.

I also remember teaching my kids to make paper origami water bombs, from a diagram somewhere or other. But that got them in to trouble when they bombed the local bobby from their bedroom window, whilst I was busy working in the pub underneath. I was able to placate him with a couple of pints. He gave the kids the necessary rollicking too.

Oh! what a tangled web we weave!

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Just for you

From a single square of paper, pure folding only.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Have a look here.Home made straight 8 There are others to see, just search for miniature engines

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

That's a cracker, There is a micro-light airfield just down the road from me. I thought one had landed in my room then! Very good... Where's the instructions on how to fold it?

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

It is from a Robert Harbin book.

I had all of Robert Harbins books as a kid and most of the others in the first page of the link (still have some of them). It is an advanced level folding so don't think that you can just look at the instructions and fold it straight away.

There is quite a steep learning curve but it might well be an interesting new hobby for you?

Origami books

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Blackhat. I am so busy since I retired that I don't think I have time for any new hobbies. But if I do suddenly find myself with time on my hands... Then who knows?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

2-d 'tangrams' are a good way to get started... http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=robert%20harbin%20origami&tag=googhydr-21&index=stripbooks&hvadid=10038604741&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1846376032725861456&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pdsl19y0oiqyl1e#/ref=nbsbssi07?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=tangram&sprefix=tangram%2Cstripbooks%2C1673&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3Atangram

.it's a big link (2D)...fingers crossed ;-O]

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide