We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What happens if microscopic life is found on Mars?

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

An interesting News column about it. Link.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

If microscopic life is found on Mars, it doesn't actually affect the odds of there being life any where else in the Universe one tiny bit. There either is, or there isn't.

It may affect our interpretation of whether there is or isn't.

It's actually quite an important point, one that causes great confusion even amongst statisticians. The two events are not causally linked.... unless, of course, Martian life is the origin of all other life in the Universe.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

bjh

If traces of life were found it would certainly increase the likelihood that it has also developed elsewhere in the universe.

Mars once had large seas that were hundreds of metres deep, so it seems highly possible that life of some kind may have developed, even if it was microscopic in size. The problem is the lack of an atmosphere, and the large temperature fluctuations at the surface. Evolution works best if there is climactic stability over reasonably long periods.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

So if they actually find fossils of a few inches in size in the rocks, that really would be a seismic discovery.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...microbe A to microbe B...over garden fence.

They just land over here and they think they own the place.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Forum Editor Quote: "If traces of life were found it would certainly increase the likelihood that it has also developed elsewhere in the universe."

No, simply not true. The chance of life existing elsewhere in the universe is completely unaffected by what we discover, or fail to discover, on Mars. The two events are completely unlinked, and many posters here are confusing the two.

Imagine if the probe were either to i) land and find life, or ii) explode just before landing (and then finding life). Would you imagine that the exploding spacecraft would reduce the chances of there being life elsewhere in the Universe? That that explosion would cause life to vanish in some faraway part of the Universe? Of course not, it's absurd. The discovery of life on Mars, or the discovery there is no life on Mars has absolutely no effect on whether there is life in other parts of the Universe.

It may well increase our understanding and evaluating the chance of life, but increasing the likelihood that life has also developed elsewhere??? Nah, no chance, no way.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

So if they actually find fossils of a few inches in size in the rocks, that really would be a seismic discovery.

It would rank amongst the most important discoveries mankind has ever made.

The more likely scenario is that scientists will discover conclusive evidence of the existence of microbes.That alone would probably justify the mission.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If we ever do find 'traces' of life on Mars it will be very difficult to safely (without contamination) tranport the Martian 'critters' the long journey back home to Earth.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"That's classic student bar stuff, circa 1975"

I've never been in one in my life.

You may not think much of my intellect, but there's no need to be so damned patronising or condescending about it.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Funnily enough I used to frequent a pub called The Mars Bar in central Glasgow...late 70's...with my big mate Brian...honest!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

They used to think Moon was made out of Green Cheese also

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more