We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What happens if microscopic life is found on Mars?

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

An interesting News column about it. Link.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I read that article with interest and would like to draw your attention to another possibility.

Current estimates of the probability of there being other life forms in the Universe are based on there being no other life forms in this Solar System.

Should we find other life forms in this Solar System, then our scientists will very likely wet their pants, because it will make the likelihood of us not being alone, very slim.

Although this would be very exciting, it is also a, potentially, terrifying concept.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

We will do the usual - invade and enslave it and if it resists, wipe it out.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

" It's life Jim but not as we know it. "

Microscopic life-forms on Mars or on any of the other planets [and satellites of planets] of our Solar System,might have silicon or some other element as their basic molecular building block. Organic living life on Earth is based on carbon.

Mr Spock had green blood, didn't he?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

We already have variants of life on this planet such as the Octopus which uses copper in its blood instead of iron. I can see little reason to think that other more different variations should not be found elsewhere.

I could also be sarcastic and suggest that certain elements of the human race (teenagers) may be considered a sub-species also :-))

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Undoubtedly Cillit Bang will come out with a product for getting rid of Martian microbes

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If microscopic life forms are found to exist (or to have existed in the past) on Mars there will of course be a great deal of excitement in the scientific community. There will also be a fresh crop of 'there must be other life forms out there' threads in this forum.

Apart from that, life here on earth will go on as usual.

The chances that some form of life existed before Mars lost its atmosphere are pretty high, I imagine, although I don't think there will be traces of ancient civilisations - that's the stuff of science fiction.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"that's the stuff of science fiction."

Like landing a vehicle on Mars was two hundred years ago!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Morddwyd

It 's Nothing like landing a vehicle on Mars was two hundred years ago.

We already know that there has not been an advanced civilisation on Mars, at leas, not one that left any detectable traces when the planet is viewed through the most powerful telescopes available.

Two hundred years ago men may have dreamed about going to Mars one day, they just didn't have the technology to do it. We have the technology to send a vehicle there now, but that doesn't make it any more likely that there was an advanced civilisation there. In another 200 years the situation will be the same - no advanced civilisation.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

F.E may I suggest you look here enter link description here before you make any more statements such as

" We already know that there has not been an advanced civilisation on Mars"

"In another 200 years the situation will be the same - no advanced civilisation."

be a shame to join such distinguished people.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

carver

That list is often quoted when someone makes an assertive statement about the future, and I can understand why you've posted a link to it.

The reason I said what I did about an advanced civilisation on Mars - and I did qualify it by saying "not one that left any detectable traces" is because we know that such a civilisation cannot have existed without leaving traces, and we can't see any.

The other big bar to the development of life - at least beyond the level of water-dwelling microbes - is the fact that Mars lost most of its atmosphere around four billion years ago, around the same time that many scientists believe the planet was struck by a huge object, two thirds the size of our moon. This theory is based on the premise that approximately 40% of the northern hemisphere is covered by what looks like a vast impact crater measuring 10,600 km long by 8,500 km wide.

Given that Mars lost almost all its atmosphere 4 billion years ago, and the fact that the solar system was formed 4.5 billion years ago, the chances of an advanced civilisation developing before the atmosphere went, and before an impact so huge it formed the biggest crater in the solar system, is remote, to say the least.

After the impact and the loss of atmosphere conditions have been hostile to the development of any sophisticated forms of life.

I feel fairly confident, therefore, that my name will not be appearing on that list.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED