We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Could you manage without internet access?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm a self-confessed internet addict, spending a good deal of my working life online, and I'm afraid I have to check my emails, even when I'm on holiday.

I'm not alone but I wonder just how many of you also recognise the symptoms in yourselves - would you be OK without the internet for a couple of weeks, or if you're honest, would you feel something was missing if you didn't get your daily on-line fix?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Over the years I've been a member of this forum this question has arisen in one form or another. About five years ago I would have said a definite yes. Today, though, my answer would be the opposite. Any queries then its a search engine. Banking then it's on-line. No snail mail, no telephone (except in special circumstances), it is all at your finger tips. I'd rather do without the inane T.V. than the 'net.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Over the years I've been a member of this forum this question has arisen in one form or another. About five years ago I would have said a definite yes. Today, though, my answer would be the opposite. Any queries then its a search engine. Banking then it's on-line. No snail mail, no telephone (except in special circumstances), it is all at your finger tips. I'd rather do without the inane T.V. than the 'net. It's trying to upload my reply so I'll click the post tab again.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As an add-on, I do make a point of not taking any internet compatible phones or tablets with me when on holiday which are only a week long usually.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

I would find it ridiculously hard.

Recently, my wife researched and booked a holiday for us. The only prerequisite I made was, the destination must have Internet access.

No Internet - no booking!

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"spending a good deal of my working life online" If your job depends on it - yes it will be missed.On the other hand we see too many people with phones stuck in their ear saying something like "What kind of butter should I get!". Those who use the web for private use during works time should be given one warning and next time - gone. I see in papers yesterday some people say Brits are "idle" - is there a connection? I use the web because its a way of keeping in touch with the outside world without leaving the house. Like a number of inventions it is your best friend and worst enemy. We should feel sorry for young able bodied people that spend so much of their spare time in a chair instead of being in the fresh air seeing/doing things for real instead of the pretend world that the web so often becomes. If I had to count the pennies - it would be one of the first things to go.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

woody , with respect, the youngsters are on the net these days via cell/ mobile phones out in the fresh air. Sometimes they look lost if the battery has drained.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Would you be OK without the internet for a couple of weeks?

No - I would be grumpy - big time!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I could, but I think I would find it difficult.

Banking, shopping, news, messaging, even TV schedules, all on-line.

I would certainly rather be without television!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I think I could survive without the internet because I don't shop, bank, use e-mail(much).I don't download videos or music (only updates to software and windows XP).

...but I would miss PCAdvisor (...and not just this forum.)

...and with all that extra free time I would be able to 'catch up' on my household chores!

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

I can go without work e-mail no problem but would take my smart phone for news and work / hobby related Webb sites. But I will say I do limit my time on the Webb while on holiday. Last year we holidayed in Cuba so we lasted 2 weeks without Internet.

Noldi

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks