We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Could you manage without internet access?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm a self-confessed internet addict, spending a good deal of my working life online, and I'm afraid I have to check my emails, even when I'm on holiday.

I'm not alone but I wonder just how many of you also recognise the symptoms in yourselves - would you be OK without the internet for a couple of weeks, or if you're honest, would you feel something was missing if you didn't get your daily on-line fix?

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

For about 2 weeks max (here on the far side of Ireland)! It would mean going back to;

a day spent just getting to & from the nearest library (or a city);

communication with friends & relations (most of whom are in the UK) via international phone calls, & letters taking up to 2 weeks;

no affordable way to go & see them (though I suppose I could try walking, as has been suggested - I am pretty fit for a 67-year-old);

lots of 'little' tasks requiring peak-time international calls to UK organisations, with no UK phone books available, & having to find out where they are before asking Directory Enquiries.....

And so on.

And that's without factoring in the dwindling of non-internet ways of doing things.

As for trying to argue with the 'You Facebook users should get out more' brigade, I've given up on that one!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

polymath

Nicely put.

I know some farmers who tell me that their lives have been transformed by the internet. Lots of farmers live busy and often fairly solitary lives, miles from the nearest town.

Having internet access can be a godsend for people who can't easily get to shops/banks/libraries etc., quite apart from the way the internet facilitates contact with friends and relatives you don't get to see very often.

Like this post
CommandJG

Likes # 0

Yes. I think I could survive without Internet access but only couples of days! Finally, I would feel I am behind others and go back to the Internet user cycle again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite