We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Could you manage without internet access?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm a self-confessed internet addict, spending a good deal of my working life online, and I'm afraid I have to check my emails, even when I'm on holiday.

I'm not alone but I wonder just how many of you also recognise the symptoms in yourselves - would you be OK without the internet for a couple of weeks, or if you're honest, would you feel something was missing if you didn't get your daily on-line fix?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - I can't argue with that.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Forum Editor - I should have added that I do not personally know anybody on this great forum (same applies to every other forum member), which is the beauty of this particular communication platform.

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

I would be lost without the internet now! just been away for four days at a tattoo festival and used my phone to access the net for various reasons, back home now and have to upload photos and send a lot of emails/messages, want to catch up on different sites/forums etc.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Groan - got to move the computer system this evening so that some plumbers can do work for the next couple of days. Will have to use the 'spare' computer in the garage and it's win 98 and on dial-up so I wont be about much and no printing/scanning.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

wiz-king - before you go down to your shed...tell me, have you got a good [free if possible] anti-virus prog for your w98 set-up?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I would certainly feel that something was missing, living on my own the Internet is my gateway to seeing and 'being with', my distant relatives and friends. Skype is great!

BTW - I was able to put-a-face to a name this evening - I have just see 'our' Matt Egan on TV, warning about the Microsoft telephone scam! A local lady having recently fallen prey to the scam.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It's a pity PCA couldn't have a 'sticky' forum, warning of these telephone, email and letters scams. Something newbies could look at instantly to compare with their worries rather than having to ask at helproom or consumerwatch.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

rdave13

"It's a pity PCA couldn't have a 'sticky' forum, warning of these telephone, email and letters scams."

Perhaps you don't realise how many of them there are - literally thousands circulating on the internet. Most of the serious ones are mentioned in the forums pretty quickly; the Microsoft telephone scam was the subject of a thread over a year ago, and it has been mentioned many times since then.

On the whole I think we manage pretty well when it comes to flagging up scams that are likely to affect our readers/forum members.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes this is a good place to flag up scams. Pity those who use a PC as a tool and nothing else(not members of forums such as PCA) have to fall for this kind of scam. Others get hit via Post or Telephone.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

One word NO!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded