We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Could you manage without internet access?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm a self-confessed internet addict, spending a good deal of my working life online, and I'm afraid I have to check my emails, even when I'm on holiday.

I'm not alone but I wonder just how many of you also recognise the symptoms in yourselves - would you be OK without the internet for a couple of weeks, or if you're honest, would you feel something was missing if you didn't get your daily on-line fix?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...regarding e-mail communications (over the internet)...seems to be 'Old-Hat' technology now; Mobile phone communication systems have superceded that [email] 'stone-age' way of 'talking'& 'listening' to other people.

As others have said before, many people don't want to have anything to do with the internet...(I don't blame them.)

Face-to-face [tete-a-tete] human communication will never be equalled; the nuances of people's facial expressions, characteristics, moods... (close up) will never be digitally realised.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - Have you ever used Skype?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Woolwell, no I have not used Skype...I like to touch people, or be near them to make a good contact. I'm an old-fashioned guy at heart.

Like this post
wes.t.clox

Likes # 0

We have just had 2 weeks holiday in the centre of York with no internet .

Didn't miss it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - it's very difficult to be near them if they live overseas.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Woolwell, my best friend lives in England but we do not have to text or Skype each other every day...thank heavens.

Like this post
Shopgirl

Likes # 0

I have a friend In Nigeria. I chat with him on face book. Sometimes the Internet signal isnt very good. I dont have skype. Hopefully he will visit sometime this year. He misses the chat if the internet isnt good.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Yes I would miss the Internet especially when I am overseas. At the present time I keep in touch with many friends from the far east several times a week by e-mail and also I use Messenger for chatting. It is good to see their faces and hear them talking and basically it doesn't cost but a few £'s a month. What used to cost me an arm and a leg using a land line is basically for free now.

As I'm off again in just over 5 weeks (and counting down) I will of course need the Internet for my banking, pay the odd bill or two, and of course keep in touch with the remnants of my family who still reside in the UK.

I might even appear on here now and again despite the different time zone.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

Wot - no internet?
That means that I would have to talk to the Long Haired One. Heavens to Mergatroid!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

"I like to touch people, or be near them to make a good contact. I'm an old-fashioned guy at heart."

And yet you make quite a few posts in an internet forum on a daily basis.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED