We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Could you manage without internet access?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm a self-confessed internet addict, spending a good deal of my working life online, and I'm afraid I have to check my emails, even when I'm on holiday.

I'm not alone but I wonder just how many of you also recognise the symptoms in yourselves - would you be OK without the internet for a couple of weeks, or if you're honest, would you feel something was missing if you didn't get your daily on-line fix?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

It'd be tough.

For a start I'd have to go into work 5 days a week, as I wouldn't be able to work from home, so I'd be an extra £40 a week out of pocket.

At work our internet and email are separate, so we still get email even when the internet is down. A lot of my time at work is spent researching online, so when the internet does go down it can be a rain pain, I can still work from catalogues but it's slow and often the products are out of date.

Living where I do, 3G access is patchy at best, mobile internet is slow but I can still get email, so when we do travel to somewhere without any kind of mobile data coverage I quickly start to feel completely out of touch, but after a day or so I soon get over it and it's quite refreshing.

When O2 had the major outage in July we were at a music festival in Suffolk. The networks usually have mobile towers to cope with the volume of traffic. The O2 mast was about 30 foot from our tent, so it was quite odd being able to see the mast I should have been connected to, but still seeing no bars on my phone...

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I manage quite well when on holiday, usually two weeks at a time, two or three times a year. My sons bought me a netbook last year but I deliberately leave that at home and my mobile phone is not even a smart one and is switched off most of the time. The only problem comes when returning home and I have to sort out 400 or so e mails, most of which appear to be spam. Once I have done that its back to my usual hour or so per day when I browse PCA and the news feeds. Must be that I find more to fill my time when on holiday that I don't miss the net.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...being able to answer my wife's 'Where do we know that actor from?'"

That rings a huge bell.

If we're watching TV in the evening my iPad is by my side, and is used to look up an actor,or a location on a regular basis.

That's the thing about the internet - almost everything is out there somewhere, all you have to do is ask Google to find it. My children and their friends have grown up in an on-line world, and they use it as routinely as turning on a tap. There's no sense of 'missing' something, or not having a life - they have very busy social lives in the real world. What they do, and what I do, too, is use the internet as a means to an end, rather than an end in itself.

Life is for living, and the internet can make the living that bit more interesting.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Just spent a week in Tuscany with no internet. Had a great time, but hated not being able to access the usual.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I would struggle to go more than a couple of days without the net, I rely on it far to much, most shopping is done on it (bar food) research is done by internet for a lot of jobs, eating out, what's on at the cinema, I could go on and on.

Four years ago I would never have imagined that I would need a smart phone, now after using various ones for nearly 3 years I feel lost if I forget it when going out.

I'm just sorry that the internet has arrived so late in my life, the knowledge that is available is nearly unlimited.

It's made life so much easier but at the same time to be so reliant on one particular form of access to the outside world it's scary, but if you are one of today's children being brought up with it they don't know any different.

woody "I see in papers yesterday some people say Brits are "idle" - is there a connection?" one word NO what you saw was a bunch of idiots spouting off who should keep their thoughts to themselves until they grow up. Anyway this post isn't about that.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Provided I could order various items using the 'phone - dog food, batteries and a few other miscellaneous items - the answer is 'yes, I could manage without the internet'.

Both communication and buying over the internet is simple and quick but so is using a 'phone. I agree that buying can be done without the need for a human to be in the 'store' but I always managed before.

Searching for information would entail using books - again not a major problem as I still know how how they work - or perhaps buying CD/DVDs with encyclopaedia on them. PCs without the internet can still be used to write letters and a walk to the post box is healthy.

I would miss the banter on sites such as this, but perhaps it would encourage a return to verbal communication.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

I could manage OK but I would be hell to live with !(my wife says)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Looking over the general inputs to this thread, it would seem that there would be quite a number of people who might not survive, if there was a major failure with internet access.

I am perhaps one of those miserable people who is getting very use to internet failures of one kind or another (so perhaps I am becoming accustomed for that final failure day?). Email services that seem to fail at the most unfortunate time, and the ISP knows there is a problem, but have no time scale to fix the problem. Banks that request double or treble payments for a credit card statement payment, then tell you that it will take 5 working days to return the money they had taken incorrectly but should not have.

The list is endless, and perhaps the internet is essential to some, when others find it not so much. I am one of those people who can 'give and take', and the internet is perhaps one item that I can regard as not essential to me personally?.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Two years ago yes I could manage,

but now my lively hood depends on people who use email to contact me and pass on information etc.

I could do it by snail mail and phone but it would be costly.

Although perhaps these people would be better organised if they didn't rely on fast communication as they leave everything until the last minute.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Never believed i could manage without tv but i do,ditched it 18 months ago.When on holiday i leave laptop at home and only access internet,on nieces computer, occasionally to check mail no 'surfing',take a number of books to read.

In a nutshell ,yes,for a few weeks no problem.

May change now i have new camera.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK