We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Now this could alter electric cars

carver

Likes # 0

South Korean boffins say they have found a way to cut battery charging times for electric cars from hours down to just minutes.

enter link description here if true then electric cars could be realistic for every day driving

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

romanby1 is correct. The expansion of electric cars is only viable in terms of CO2 emission improvement if the extra power stations have effective carbon capture, are low in emissions such as nuclear, solar , wind or hydro-electric. Without carbon capture we would just transfer emissions from the road to the power station.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

The only two certainties in life are death and taxes. Big brother will get you some way or other. My mind goes back to Arnold's film Total Recall where the air was taxed....far fetched....probably but you read it here first ;-)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

romanby1

I clearly stated "at the tailpipe" as in the general running of the car does not produce emissions. This is how the motoring press refer to the cars, this means that they acknowledge the manufacture of the car, and production of the electricity to charge the batteries, is not free of emissions.

I live in a lodge home, on a park, we have a 15amp supply, so I can't run the microwave & kettle at the same time.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Tell you what - I could do with one of those in my Mobility Scooter!!

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

carver

Range is going to be one of the limiting factors for electric cars so recharging en route may well be a necessity. Also city dwellers who may well be the obvious users, mainly short journeys, are also the most likely to live in flats or terraced housing with no means to recharge at home. Trailing an electric lead across a pavement is an offence so not a viable way of doing it. A similar system to White Meter could be used to ensure that electricity used for vehicles is charged separately to domestic usage. Public charging points could operate in exactly the same way as filling stations. It will obviously take a while for that sort of infrastructure to be installed nationwide but if a government was to be faced with the loss of substantial revenue it would make sure it was in place.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

These devices can 'rapid charge' an electric car that has a suitable 32Amp charge point, and this takes only 20 or 30 minutes to charge a battery to 80% capacity

I reckon that that input power will allow approx 17 miles travel which may be OK for a short journey around the city.

(3.6 kWH input at 0.21kWH per mile used.)

It's the equivalent of going to the filling station and getting a couple of litres of diesel.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Electric vehicles may be here to stay, but until battery replacement costs and/or life are reduced they will still out price conventional transport especially for low mileage users.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

oresom wrote

t will require a very high current over a short period. Multiply this by tens of thousands of motorists charging at the same time and it will be a challenge for the supply industry to meet the demand.'

This is also true if the take up of the current tranche of electric vehicles were to increase substantially.

The power distribution system would need drastic upgrading at a huge cost that every one would wind up contributing too through higher energy bills - even those without electric vehicles.

'

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I sure I'm not the only one old enough to remember that diesel used to carry far less duty than petrol, and consequently was much cheaper at the pump.

That was part of the attraction of early diesel cars.

Once enough were being sold it was time to put up the duty.

I suspect electricity will, somehow, end up the same!

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

The problem is the mileage that the material does even before the battery's are produced. Carbon emissions would be better reduced on a locally produced car made from locally sourced materials that is light weight and a small engine capacity.

Noldi

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia