We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Now this could alter electric cars

carver

Likes # 0

South Korean boffins say they have found a way to cut battery charging times for electric cars from hours down to just minutes.

enter link description here if true then electric cars could be realistic for every day driving

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Such quick charging time technology will also make cordless hedge trimmers and mowers are real alternative to the present next to useless ones, and many other uses of where a drained device battery severely limits it's practical use.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If these new batteries could be charged up much quicker than 'standard energy cells' with existing solar-panel array technology, then that would also be very handy.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

The problem with this idea as articulated by some in the comments attached to the article is the demand on the electricity supply network.

It will require a very high current over a short period. Multiply this by tens of thousands of motorists charging at the same time and it will be a challenge for the supply industry to meet the demand.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 1

Could be the biggest step forward in making electric vehicles viable. The only fly in the ointment would be the loss of revenue to the government. Government are currently ignoring this loss from electricity being used as a fuel but they have always had the laws in place to make alternative fuels taxable at the same rate as the fuel replaced. Are alternative fuels subject to duty As I have indicated before, it is only going to be the people who take up the technology early who are going to make any saving. After that Big Brother will step in with his tax demands. It will then depend on whether the new battery technology will allow infinite recharging cycles or whether the battery will need replacing on a fairly regular basis compared to current engines.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

canarieslover I don't see how they can put an extra duty on electric cars, if they put the duty up front it will just stop people from buying them in the first place and if you try to charge people for charging at home how would you enforce that.

The biggest problem will be as you pointed out the amount of times they can be recharged.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Electric vehicles are always quoted as being carbon free, THEY ARE NOT. The energy has to come from somewhere and that is the power station which unless it is atomic releases carbon to the atmosphere, probably somewhat less per Kw, though distribution losses have to be taken into account. than an internal combustion engine. As regards charging all secondary cells can be charged at a higher rate but that reduces the life of the cell.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

carbon free Cars!!!! so how are they made? do they grow on trees and you just go out and pick one! What about all the Energy it cost to make all the bits that go to building a new car. This post as gone into Fairyland talking. Look See the real world around you, as it got better or worse due to modern technology. It as done a lot off good, but not created real Happiness or solved the real problems of life like people stopping killing one another and the length of life that a person can live, and if you live a bit longer as I am on borrowed time, it only gets harder to deal with old age problems. It does not also make Family's stick together, but can destroy them

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

romanby1

Most of the motoring press refer to electric cars as having zero emissions "at the tailpipe", so the car itself doesn't create any CO2.

It would be impractical to quote emission figures for the car however, as it would depend on how your electricity was generated, coal, gas, nuclear, wind etc.

Equally, huge amounts of CO2 are generated by the car's manufacture, and the production of the rare earth metals used in the batteries is particularly dirty.

Personally I'd love an electric car, but I have a number of problems preventing me from buying one.

1. my round trip commute is 130 miles, I may be able to manage this on a single charge in summer, but it's doubtful I'd manage it in winter with lights & heater on.
  2. my house only has a 15a electric supply, so charging the car would take about 36 hours, assuming I didn't need the lights on during that time, so I might just get away with working every other day
  3. the upfront cost of electric cars is way out of my price range
Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Alan14. Zero emissions to many implies zero carbon. The only way to approach zero carbon is to cover the car with photo voltaic cells to charge the car and that will only work during daylight. Unless someone comes up with a light weight and small dimension battery that can give mileage range similar to a tank full of petrol will electric vehicles a chance of success your points 1 & 3 are a case in point. Point 2 I woud be surprised if you live in a house if your supply is 15amp, the standard house supply is 60amp and sometimes 80amp. What you refer to is probably the current a 13amp socket can supply. Most consumer units (Fuse Boxes) can deliver a 45amp supply that an be used for cokkers etc.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Electric vehicles are here to stay, and faster charging times will definitely be a plus as far as a selling point goes. I've noticed quite a few street charging points for cars being installed in London. They consist of a metal post on the pavement with a blue light on top.

These devices can 'rapid charge' an electric car that has a suitable 32Amp charge point, and this takes only 20 or 30 minutes to charge a battery to 80% capacity.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more