We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The UK has issued a "threat" to enter the Ecuadorian embassy in London

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The impasse over our request that the Ecuadorian embassy should hand over Julian Assange looks like coming to a sudden end if our Foreign Office carries out its threat to enter the embassy and arrest him.

Swords are being rattled in advance of the Ecuadorians' declared intention to announce their decision regarding Assange's asylum request tomorrow (technically today, in view of the time now).

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Pardon my ignorance, but I do not understand what all the fuss is about - is this about Wikileaks (something else I don't fully understand) or is it about a man trying to avoid being questioned about an alleged criminal act, i.e. rape?

If the latter, then it would appear to me, to be wrong to assist this person in his efforts, and IMHO he should be deported to Sweden to face the questioning.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Nontek

"If the latter, then it would appear to me, to be wrong to assist this person in his efforts, and IMHO he should be deported to Sweden to face the questioning".

Agreed, but how to achieve that aim is the problem now he is in a foreign embassy with asylum granted? I assume, if you have read this thread, you know that he is in The Ecuador Embassy?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Nontek please it is not rape, it is some thing the Swedes like to call unexpected sex and he has not objected to being interviewed.

And to put your mind at rest he has already been questioned once in Sweden and the charges dropped.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

So if the charges have been dropped, and of course I don't doubt you for one moment, why does he feel the need to hide in a foreign embassy?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Nontek

Mr Assange fears that if he is sent to Sweden it may lead to him being sent on to the US to face charges relating to Wikileaks, for which he says he could face the death penalty.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Also, why would the Swedish authorities still want to question him, and why the need then for deportation?

Pardon me, but I am just an old man!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Nontek

Many of us are old men!! Have a read here rather than asking one question after another: Assange

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Thanks - that is some document, I think I will leave 'well enough' alone!

No more questions!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Nontek

Could I suggest that you look the details up on the Internet if you wish to know what this is all about. You can have my views along with everyone else if you wish but much of it is there if you chose to look.

Following the leaks there was no doubt a USA "get him (who is an Australian citizen) at all costs" hunt on and every organisation which helped him support his web site cam under immense pressure to cease aiding the site. It is still on air and financed by a few supporters who have refused to back down but it is still basically under attack by USA authorities as well as some other Governments who don't wish these embarrassing leaks to continue.

Two women who worked for his organisation in Sweden claimed that he had sex with them at a party after a lecture he was giving and he admits it took place but was consensual. He was questioned fully by the Swedish authorities and released without charge. However some time later another Swedish official resurrected the enquiry citing that the sex took place without my namesake, a condom, which in a law peculiar to Sweden can be an offence in certain circumstances and asked him to return for further questioning.

He refused to do so as he was concerned that this was now a plot to get him to a country where the USA authorities might seek his extradition to the USA to face charges over the leaks which could mean him spending the rest of his life in jail. He was also concerned that all of it was to try to show him as being a sexual predator and reduce the credibility of the leaks.

The UK authorities agreed that he could be sent to Sweden and so he took refuge in the Ecuadorian Embassy and has now been granted political asylum.

That is it in a nutshell and I hope I got it right and no doubt if I didn't others will add to and correct anything I might have got wrong

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

How much do I know?

Equador has just granted asylum to Mr. Assange.

Watch this space.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia