We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The UK has issued a "threat" to enter the Ecuadorian embassy in London

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The impasse over our request that the Ecuadorian embassy should hand over Julian Assange looks like coming to a sudden end if our Foreign Office carries out its threat to enter the embassy and arrest him.

Swords are being rattled in advance of the Ecuadorians' declared intention to announce their decision regarding Assange's asylum request tomorrow (technically today, in view of the time now).

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Events have moved on Ecuador grants Wikileaks founder asylum We now move in to uncharted territory with regard to how the UK authority's proceed. Ecuador has called our bluff, the ball is in the Governments court.

I will be very interested to see the outcome!

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Since a lot of people are quoting various laws and acts, can someone tell me what the situation would be if, now that Ecuador have granted him asylum, they formally made him part of the embassy staff, with formal diplomatic credentials (e.g. 4th deputy sub-clerk for paper shuffling)? Wouldn't this grant him the same diplomatic immunity as any embassy member and, as such, couldn't he just walk out the front door and the police wouldn't be able to touch him since he could just holler "diplomatic immunity"?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Any way it's rather confusing now because he has been granted political asylum.

"As Woolwell says, "Once he has left these shores then it isn't our business.""

Of coarse it's our business, that sounds like some thing Chamberlain said just before the start of the second world war.

Or is it now a case of what you can't see can't hurt you, or a neighbour turning round and saying "nothing to do with me".

I can not think of any thing worse than a fellow human saying he isn't bothered about some thing that may happen to a fellow human, I'm just glad I'm not laid on the floor hopping one of you will give me aid.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

fourm member

A former British Ambassador to Russia interviewed on the lunchtime news said that revoking the embassy's status would be a very dangerous and provocative act, which could have grave implications for our diplomats based abroad.

The UK Governments bluff has been called, what now?

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Now that he has been granted diplomatic asylum I doubt that there is much that the UK authorities can now do. The stupid idea of taking away the status of the Embassy is just that, stupid. It would leave all our Embassies throughout the world open to the same tactics by other governments and create a furore among other Embassies in the UK. No government is daft enough to do this for such an issue as this.

If Ecuador decide to move him as diplomatic baggage then he is gone and as many have said on here already "it is no longer our problem".

I don't think the government will be daft enough to interfere with the diplomatic bag of another UN nation. It seems that many reasonable offers have been made to allow him to be questioned by Swedish officials which have all been turned down and as this is purely for questioning it worries me that Sweden has adopted this approach. I'm not particularly concerned about the USA as Sweden is pretty independent and doesn't bow to diplomatic pressure as was shown if anyone cares to read about the real "Hunt For red October" incident.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Regarding the possibility that we would remove the embassy status and enter legally.

What was the position when the SAS stormed the Iranian Embassy, surely that could have been seen as an act of war?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Some thing I have just learned about supposed * rape of these 2 women, it seems he didn't use a condom at the time of having sex, in Sweden it's called *unexpected sex which is unique to Sweden and only days before these two women had been openly boasting about their relationship with him before going to police.

He's never denied he didn't have sex with them both and the conspiracy theory is that one of these women has links with the CIA.

And now the UK is treating him like public enemy number 1 it just gets stranger.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

alan14 just a wee bit different I believe than the present situation, don't believe any body is going to die as a result of him being in there.

Unless you know different.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

carver

I'm not denying the situation is different, but our special forces entered a foreign embassy without express permission, so under the Vienna Convention it would have been regarded as a hostile act.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

alan14

Mrs Thatcher ordered the SAS raid on the Iranian Embassy , in spite of Article 22 of the Vienna Convention, after a hostage was killed. Later. , the government was thanked by the Iranians for the"police" action in bringing the siege to a conclusion, in spite of their earlier objections. That was a totally different situation where lives were at stake. In this case, Ecuador has granted asylum, but unless they smuggle him out hidden in diplomatic baggage in true James Bond style,we can simply refuse safe passage out and leave him there ad infinitum, arresting him in due course. Although we may have the right to revoke the diplomatic status of the embassy (Not sure if the judges would uphold this versus the Vienna Convention in this case), I feel it is quite unnecessary and as has been stated, would put at risk similar action against our overseas embassies.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Ultrasonic cover to aid the visually...

IDG UK Sites

Apple iWatch release date, rumours & images - October unveiling, December release expected

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow