We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The UK has issued a "threat" to enter the Ecuadorian embassy in London

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The impasse over our request that the Ecuadorian embassy should hand over Julian Assange looks like coming to a sudden end if our Foreign Office carries out its threat to enter the embassy and arrest him.

Swords are being rattled in advance of the Ecuadorians' declared intention to announce their decision regarding Assange's asylum request tomorrow (technically today, in view of the time now).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Does that mean that under the town & planning rules, a breach of planning rules will occur if someone is living in the building permanently, without planning permission?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

john bunyan

"The threat to enter the Embassy, in this case, is way OTT."

I think you need to reflect on how these matters are handled. We have made a commitment to hand this man over to the Swedish authorities. He ran to the Equadorian embassy in order to avoid deportation, and now we need to show Sweden that we are determined to honour our commitment. What better way to do that than by getting tough with the embassy?

This is how it may have played out:-

Meetings have previously taken place with Equadorian diplomatic staff, at which a way forward was agreed. Equador doesn't want Assange on its hands, and we all know that he will be arrested by British Police the moment he leaves the embassy. Therefore it makes sense for us to issue the threat, so Equador can initially make a big fuss, and then both sides can get down to business. Equador can refuse asylum and say that we 'saw sense'over the embassy invasion thing. We can arrest Assange and hand him over to the Swedes, who have been in on the plan from the start. What happens to him after that is not our concern.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Good question! I think that there is a lot of brinkmanship going on with regard to Assange, The particular act linked to above was brought in after the events at the Libyan embassy, where a British police officer was shot and killed by a Libyan diplomat from within the embassy's premises.

I think it will be a very drastic step for our Government to take to violate a foreign embassy, regardless of the apparent legality that this legislation would give.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Kevscar1

"An embassy is inviolate"

As long as it remains an embassy that applies. The Secretary of State may exercise powers to remove its status however, as Flak999 has pointed out.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

FE" What happens to him after that is not our concern."

How can you make a statement like that about another person, so I suppose that you couldn't give a dam about any body who may be tortured, held illegally or just banged up in jail without being charged for how ever long the authority's decide it's OK.

If anybody else had made that statement you would be on your high horse condemning them.

I do care about how people are treated in case one day that person I couldn't care about is me

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You will not change anything while Britain and the USA is in each others Pockets

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's Sweden that wants him. This has nothing to do with UK/USA relationships.

carver - I very much doubt that the UK Supreme Court would have approved the extradition if there was any possibility of being held illegally, etc. Witness how difficult it has been to extradite other people. Once he has left these shores then it isn't our business.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

carver

"How can you make a statement like that about another person"

I'm guilty of not making myself clear, and you're right to point it out.

When I said it wasn't our concern what happens to Assange I meant in a diplomatic and legal sense. I don't think there's any question of him being

"tortured, held illegally or just banged up in jail without being charged for how ever long the authority's decide it's OK."

As Woolwell says, "Once he has left these shores then it isn't our business."

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Legally you are correct. However we must be very careful, should we adopt this course of action, not to give other countries the excuse to do the same in our embassies in places like China, Russia etc.

This man is trying to evade extradition, and we will carry out our obligation to extradite him in due course. I believe the best way is via negotiation with Ecuador, but should they grant him immunity, then we should wait until he tries to move (not granting him a free exit), rather than using the heavy handed approach over an issue which does not warrant it. Such a step as invading the embassy (Actually withdrawing diplomatic status) should be reserved for matters absolutely vital to our national interest, such terrorists, murderers etc. The precedent it would set would, in my view, be counter productive in putting our foreign embassies at risk of similar action.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

FEHe has been granted asylum, so we will see how the government handle it. In my view we should not grant a free exit - just leave him there and get Sweden to put pressure on direct to Ecuador.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...