We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will This Extinguish The Tobacco Industry?

oresome

Likes # 0

Australia's highest court upheld the world's toughest law on cigarette promotion today, prohibiting tobacco company logos on cigarette packs that will instead show cancer-riddled mouths, blinded eyeballs and sickly children.

I don't think we are going so far in the UK, but plain packaging is on the agenda following on from hiding the product behind closed doors and I expect the law to get tougher as time passes.

I don't smoke but admit to owning tobacco shares and they have been a top performer over the last five or so years that I have owned, so sales don't seem to have been impacted so far, the companies having found new sales avenues in developing countries. This of course brings it's own moral issues.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

When I moved into my new house some years ago I decided to stop smoking for good as I didn't want the smell around. Working in a hospital my smoking was down to an evening only habit. Like Chronus I didn't turn in a rabid anything but gradually got healthier after an initial weigh gain.

My boss was an avid anti smoker and following a meeting in London we went into a pub for a pint before catching the train and unfortunately he made a comment about the cigarette machine being moved into the toilet and the condom machine being put in the bar which riled a few nearby smokers. One said that at least after 4 cigarettes he didn't go back home and bash the wife like many do after 4 pints which shut him up abruptly.

Both items are bad for your health but we are supposed to be adults and can decide our own fate. Having spent most of my life in the NHS there are many things we do which have an impact on how NHS money is spent not just smoking and drinking so to my mind pointing out the cost of one is rather pointless without also tackling all the other things at the same time.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I don't usually look at the prices of cigarettes on display at my local grocer's...but this morning I had a 'shifty' at the display stand whilst paying for my 6 morning bread rolls.

£7.50 for a packet of 20 tipped; that would deter me from ever even thinkin' of starting if I was a teenager looking for a new 'kick'!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Aitchbee the price doesn't even come into it when you first start, the first ones are normally free and by the time you have had a few free ones you are hooked, now if the price was £17.50 a packet you wouldn't get a free cigarette in the first place.

You don't mean to carry on smoking you are only buying them to give back to the people who gave you the free ones.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

carver - Thankfully, I 'sussed' that out 40 years ago ...when they were only "Tuppence A Fag" :o)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks