We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A damning article on Microsoft

amonra

Likes # 0

A long but interesting article on windows and its failure to capitalise on its successes. enter link description here

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Thanks Amora. A most interesting read.

It reinforces my decision to stay with Win 7 until this computer goes to the great scrapyard in the sky, then move to Apple.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

And Win 8 will take them down the toilet????
Bill looks for new toilet system

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

canarieslover

More Billionaires should follow Bill Gates lead, he's using his vast wealth to improve the lives of people world-wide.

I wonder if the billions that Apple have accrued will in any way work their way across to help the millions of people slaving away making shiny gadgets...

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

alan14

It was meant a bit tongue in cheek. I appreciate that he does try to do a lot of good with his fortune and that the toilet project is just a further step in that direction.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The article is very interesting, and it underlines what many people have been saying for some time - that Microsoft appears to have lost its Mojo.

Someone needs to impress on Steve Ballmer that in his business you innovate or die. He doesn't seem to understand that his primary function must be to drive the business forward in terms of new technologies and products, and drive it fast. The days when Microsoft could sit back and rely on good old Windows and MS Office to bring the billions rolling in are over.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Interesting.

It's a fact that love him or loath him, since Bill Gates gave up the leadership, things have gone rapidly downhill.

I can honestly say, hand on heart that as a geek, Mr Gates was indeed a visionary. I can remember him trying to introduce essentially a touch pad probably a decade ago. Way before Apple had the ipad. And that side of him I admire and respect. But as we all know, Microsoft failed to deliver on that promise and in all honesty, was probably way ahead of its time.

The side of Mr Gates I despised, was his companies business practices and little has changed there. I will never regard destroying competition by any and sometimes brutal means as being acceptable. If you have a superior product, the market will recogniser it and it will lift your business for you - just ask Apple. Strong arm tactics are really not necessary, though Apple in my view, is far from being squeaky clean either.

Even today, they're using Mafia like tactics (essentially a protection racket) forcing others into buying licences for alleged intellectual property infringements that have never been proven. Using their financial muscle to extract financial payment from others. That cannot be right and says a lot about the state of the present management. I always thought it was called extortion. But in the US it doesn't seem to matter when it's big business.

No worthwhile products so let's screw the competition.

The company that gave Windows to the world and did more to encourage the use of computers by everyone, than probably anyone else on the planet, despised by many and reduced to a shadow of its former self.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

The decline of Microsoft was inevitable. Companies always rise and fall, sometimes they have a change of leadership and rise again, but eventually something new comes along and the old established company fails.

There are very few companies that I remember as a lad, that still exist now. And those that do are usually companies that produce essentials such as food.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

robgf

As you so rightly say Apple itself nearly disappeared until they brought back their recently departed visionary to lead it again. So many leading Companies are still associated with their product like Hoover are but a shadow of their former selves. Will Microsoft become another Kodak? I seriously doubt it as they are probably still working on many future devices we can only presently dream about and I'm pretty sure one or two of them will succeed.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Microsoft has become IBM.

It has reached the top and stagnated, rested on its laurels, whatever, but I don't think that it has lost its way. It's still doing what it started out to do.

It has just failed to continually re-invent itself, which is the only way a Company can survive in the long game.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone