We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is there a way to tell Microsoft?

wee eddie

Likes # 0

that I think that the whole concept of Libraries is a waste of Disk Space and that I'd like them to provide a Fix to disable that whole function.

I am equally antagonistic to Photo Manipulation Programs that wish to re-file your pictures and start to do this as soon as they are loaded.

OK, I know that these are just a Folder full of short-cuts, but why?

Are we so stupid that we cannot organise a Filing System without their assistance?

Rant over.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

wee eddie

See here: Turn off libraries

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"Are we so stupid that we cannot organise a Filing System without their assistance?"

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who are. They are the people libraries are designed for.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do." Bertrand Russell.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The Libraries are only shortcuts to files, not copies of the whole file...

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Thanks John Bunyan: I have been down that route and have no particular desire to be, personally, manipulating my Registry.

Which is why I was asking if Microsoft could provide the Fix themselves.

Alan14: I can't see why I should want a Folder with 10,000 short-cuts in it. See Line 5 in my original posting, but thanks anyway.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"OK, I know that these are just a Folder full of short-cuts, but why?"

Because lots of people find it very helpful. The idea of libraries was consumer driven - the result of feedback from the Windows user-base. Lots of people store the same file types at different drive locations or on different drives, and that's when the library system can be very helpful.

As john bunyan has pointed out,it's a pretty simple procedure to turn libraries off with a small registry tweak if you don't like the idea.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more