We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Google map, is it just me or have they made some changes?

Blackhat

Likes # 0

It always used to open up showing the whole UK, now when I open it shows my town fairly close in. Are they using ISP info or IP address, how does it know where I live?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If Google maps know where you are, why is that when you search a road name, something simple like Church Road or station road, which every town has, that you can get the first options coming up hundreds of miles away instead of the nearest of the name?

In some cases I've even had the street name's first option to be in America, a different continent, or even Australia, a different continent in an opposite hemisphere!

And now that the Mars Curiosity Rover has started mapping Mars, will they be putting their road names into the Google universal index?

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Still scratching my head over this.

Query, does this happen for anyone using pre IE9 and does this happen to anyone opening on their correct location? Some of you have said that you get varied locations on opening Google map.

Upgraded to IE9 last week and that is the only change on my home pc recently.

My office pc’s are all pre IE9 and don’t open goggle map on their location. Although I am leaning towards this being an ISP thing, office is with BT, home is with Virgin.

What if your ISP allows a third party know your location without your permission?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I think that link sums it up for me, cheers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do