We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Google map, is it just me or have they made some changes?

Blackhat

Likes # 0

It always used to open up showing the whole UK, now when I open it shows my town fairly close in. Are they using ISP info or IP address, how does it know where I live?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It uses your current location. Oddly I have gone back to whole of UK and don't know why.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

How does it know your location? I have never told it where I am so mine shows whole of UK, even with a fixed IP

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Google can tell your location from ISP data.

Interestingly today, whilst I sit here in Rochdale it thinks I'm in France. Yesterday, whilst I was in Morecambe it thought I was in Rumania.

Both times I was connected to my work network, via VPN. My employers host computer is somewhere in the depths of North Dakota.

Maybe you can easily confuse Google...

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Up here in Edinburgh I am usually shown to be somewhere in the West Midlands.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The first time you used Google maps your browser would have asked if you were happy to share your location with Google.

If you clicked 'yes' you gave Google permission to use your browser's geolocation feature to work out where you are. If that sounds like your situation you can turn the facility off. The way you do it depends on which browser you use, so look in the settings options.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

OK Firstly I am not too bothered by the change, just curious as it has happened overnight and I haven’t clicked on anything allowing Google to share my location or did so in the past.

This is not the case with the office pc’s at work, just my home pc?

Having selected ‘never allow web site to request your location’ in settings and then did a clear followed by putting Google map in the block list no change!

I will leave it as it is for now but still curious as to how Google do it and as with some who have posted here how they also get it wrong?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If, like me, you synch your Goggle account with your mobile and you have GPS switched on it's perhaps somehow possible that they know where you are.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

That's a good point...

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

I don't synch with my mobile or have GPS? As I have said before it has only happened overnight on my home pc?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Google can track you via your mobile phone, as already indicated, and there is a PC version of the software that enables them to do it, but you have to opt in for that to happen, and you've already said you didn't do that.

You can be tracked via wireless hot spots too, if you use them, but that's normally going to happen when you're using a laptop or tablet.

If you haven't enabled the tracking option in your browser for Google maps I'm at a loss to explain the reason it's happening.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...