We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hypersonic Aircraft - up to MACH 6

interzone55

Likes # 0

Boeing are due to carry out the latest test of X-51A WaveRider, which will fly at up to MACH 6 and be able to cross the Atlantic in less than an hour, whcih should cut down the number of DVT cases in cattle class.

The bit I don't like is this part of the story The WaveRider test flight is expected to last for about five minutes. At the end of it, the aircraft will break into pieces and fall into the Pacific.

I normally like to end a flight in one piece on a runway

BBC Link

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

alan14

"I normally like to end a flight in one piece on a runway"

I do too now but when a bit younger I took off about 600 more times in the likes of Beverleys, Hastings, Dakotas, Argosys, C130's, Twin Pioneers, Chinooks (even a DH Rapide) etc than I landed on a runway. I often wondered if it would become possible to arrange to jump out of a passenger plane near one's final destination, but the idea did not get far!

Once a bunch of us with some SEAL's took off from Glasgow airport in a military C130. The civilians in the terminal cafe wondered who these people were dressed in scruffy camouflage over wet suits and carrying shotguns etc were doing. Also the check in people wondered why we said we could fill in no landing airfield!

If this Wave Rider works I would love to go to Oz in one.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I wonder as it is American built we will have the same nonsense we got from them over Concorde and the noise issues or will this plane be silent?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

will this plane be silent?

No aircraft that travels at Mach 6 can be silent, but the cabin would be heavily sound-proofed. There will be a lot of noise outside, but at the height this thing will be cruising there's nobody to hear it.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

So you wouldn't here it taking off and landing? I must have missed this massive leap in aircraft technology.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I saw this story recently, and seeming overlooked was another quite amazing aircraft: The B52 that test dropped it. It has been in service since before I was born and looks likely to still be flying usefully after I'm gone.

WTM

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Would I be able to send my 'ahem'...'stomach contents' in advance, by post?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

The craft will then be dropped, and after a free fall of about four seconds, its engine is supposed to ignite.

They don't sound all that sure!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Chronus. It isn't going to take off and land at Mach 6. And I can't see many of our or the American special forces, performing HALO's from it at that speed either. Of course it must be possible for it to slow down in mid flight to drop them off.

It would certainly cut out the boredom of a long distance flight to Oz. and back.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

They could cut down the cost of flights as well, because they won't have time to serve meals.

They'll also have to find loads of short films as well...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Unfortunately your luggage went a 747 and won't be here until the day after tomorrow."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia