We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Were You Inspired?

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And if so what did it for you to be inspired, or what would you do if you're too knackered to be inspired and do it now?!

I've been using my nephew's mountain bike for a three or four months now during the day when he's been at school and getting about 5 to 10 miles a day in regularly, with the odd 25 miler when I feel like it.

As he's on holiday, I'm now inspired to get my own bike seeing as I've not been able to get out much while he's been hogging his bike. So I'm buying my own this week seeing as these top athletes have been telling us that we're never too old to do something:)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If I was 30 years younger I'd like to try the coxless fours for rowing and I'd love to try track pursuit racing in a velodrome.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam may I suggest a visit to your GP first as you appear to be suffering from post Olympic Grandeur, this is a new illness developed by the older generation who should know better.

First signs are wanting to do things that your body is is saying no to, second sign is having heart attack after attempting to do first thing.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Oh I know I'm suffering post Olympic downer syndrome! Can't you tell from the flood of post Olympic threads;) But I was OK at the last post 50 check up and was recommended to keep active, which I have been doing for over a year now.

Which is why I included an 'if you're too knackered to be inspired' option for the armchair bound members:)

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Not so much inspired but but it has brought to the fore the fact that I need to start doing exercise after a long period of ill health. I would like to go to the swimming baths every day but financially this is not possible what with entrance fees and bus fares. So I though I might try and get myself a indoor bike thingy at least I could probably rig up something with the PC and perhaps play some sort of game.

A worthwhile project and I am off to get advice on the technical feasibility of this project. I need to do it as cheaply as I can.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

May I suggest a Wii "thingy"? You can play bowls or have a go at archery or fencing or....lots of different activities, all without leaving the comfort of your very own armchair.

Seriously I think one of those Wii "thingy's" is a better bet than an indoor bike "thingy". You need to stand up and be a bit vigorous to play some of the games. It will cost you of course but maybe not as much as an indoor bike.

Some councils have schemes for free swimming and it might pay to contact them or look it up on your computer. If you are getting on then swimming is a better sport to have a go at then most. Whatever you do, forget about marathons or even jogging. Fatal...

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have a Wii and a board but I found the games incredibly boring,and has lain unused for years but more importantly the flats where I stay were made with recycled egg shells beloved by council house builders all over the country. As I am of a generation that believes in not disturbing the neighbours too often. Me jogging or doing some other vigorous game on the Wii is not really an option.

But I wonder if I can,somehow connect the Wii to the bike. I have had one suggestion elsewhere is to rig the bike thingy to a dynamo and power my PC then have a film playing,no pedalling no film.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

fourm member

The pool entrance fee is never affordable, I had a discount card but that was only good for four weeks and to be honest I was not ready for exercise then. Now that I am the discount is no longer available.

I can see it is a while since you rode a bus in Edinburgh, there are no stages these days and haven't been for years,it's all one price £1.40 no mater where you go using Lothian buses.

As I said earlier I have not been inspired but exercise has been on my mind for some tome and the Olympics just made me think about it more deeply.

As for walking,I absolutely loathe walking,I think walking up and down and across Dartmoor in atrocious conditions during my time in the Royal Marines put paid to any desire to walk anywhere.

I have just had this suggested to me which looks promising. CyberBiking.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Chronus

"As for walking,I absolutely loathe walking,I think walking up and down and across Dartmoor in atrocious conditions during my time in the Royal Marines put paid to any desire to walk anywhere."

What happened to "once a Marine, always a Marine"? At least you don't have to carry a rifle ad a 60 odd pound rucksack these days. Mind you I do not altogether disagree with you, I prefer a swim - and at a heated pool unlike my (and Bingalau's) days at RM Poole in Jan - Feb, with a run and swim in the sea every morning!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I am actually entitled to aconcession. But the Cyberbike would only cost £37.62 and a suitable bike around the same in fact I probably could get one for free.

Against the £18 joining fee then the £22 a month membership plus £19.60 a week or £48 a month bus fares and I am in the warmth and comfort of my own home with the winter months not so far away.

A bit more research is called for me thinks.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I was inspired by Anthony Joshua (the Gold Medal-winning Super-heavyweight boxer) who was staring defeat 'squarely in his eyes' against Cammarelle, but bounced off the ropes to win GOLD. [no...I won't be taking up Boxing...folks!].

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features